Switch Recommendations

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Netgear GS108PP or GS310TP. a 16 port GS116PP

I have three BVtech switches one died, going back to netgear.

A side note... from another user.... if using a time stamp overlay the video may not be admissible in court. Only use time stamps on the video at the camera.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@AP514 That's the one I'm using at the moment, and for the last year. Another alternative is to look on Ebay for a used Cisco commercial grade switch.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
was looking at a lot of Switches..says it (IPOWER) is a POE but says it will push 30 Watts...Is that not a POE + ?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, 30 watts is POE+ but keep in mind that every port can't be loaded at up to 30 watts. You do need to be aware of the power requirements of each camera and, even then, a PTZ as an example will only draw higher power when the motors are running. Most of the time it will load just like any other camera unless it is on constant "patrol" which is a waste IMHO.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I figured Cams I am looking at will pull about 7w-8w...But with that I might just pull an extra line for an IR led at a few locations..those run way higher.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyway back to the IPOWER...it says every port can do 30W as long as I do not go over the max rating for the switch.
Just wondering if it is a TYPO

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, every port, ports 1-4 will run 30 watts an then you've maxed out the switch basically leaving and ports 5-16 are useless. The point being that you can't exceed the total output rating of the switch no matter who made it, the power budget I use 8 watt IRs but power them with 12VDC supplies rather than the switch. 8 watts of IR is quite a bit unless you're trying to light up the entire back acreage with just one.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What for. I do not use managed switches, more stuff to upgrade and maintain. I see no benefit in a small network.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What for. I do not use managed switches, more stuff to upgrade and maintain. I see no benefit in a small network.
I was ready to get a Netgear GS108PP but after reading another poster's story about how one or more cameras needed to be reset remotely when traveling, I'm not sure an unmanaged switch is the best option. There are some POE switches labeled as "smart managed" offering the ability to reboot a port remotely, but not as managed as a full enterprise level switch. Since I'm a newbie I have to defer to the gurus for guidance. Have you ever found a situation when checking your system remotely that a camera is offline or in need of a reboot due to other issues? Thanks!

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I was ready to get a Netgear GS108PP but after reading another poster's story about how one or more cameras needed to be reset remotely when traveling, I'm not sure an unmanaged switch is the best option. There are some POE switches labeled as "smart managed" offering the ability to reboot a port remotely, but not as managed as a full enterprise level switch. Since I'm a newbie I have to defer to the gurus for guidance. Have you ever found a situation when checking your system remotely that a camera is offline or in need of a reboot due to other issues? Thanks!
I have yet to need to reboot a camera by power cycling. I’ve used the reboot command from BI a few times.

If you have a ton of non-camera network POE devices a managed switch would be useful to keep traffic separate using VLANs. But if it’s all CCTV traffic then no need for managed.

I have an unmanaged switch and have toyed with the idea of a managed one so I can eliminate the POE injectors for my home access points. I have VLANs set up on a non-POE managed switch for all my home network stuff. The increased cost of a managed switch just doesn’t seem worth it. The need to upgrade to a POE+ for my latest camera has lead me to research switch options again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
My Switch:
My Router

I have my switch running to this router along with my Blue Iris computer. Then i have this router connected to my service provider router. I do not allow the cameras to log onto internet.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here are the smart switches that work reliably for me. Ability to remote power cycle (a camera) even once makes the slight cost worthwhile
As SouthernYankee mentions, watch your total power budget for a switch.

Edimax GS-5008PL 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Web Smart Managed Switch 150W (very quiet switch with POE+ power)
$120 at Amazon
TP-Link 16-Port Gigabit PoE+ Easy Smart Managed Switch with 110W 8-PoE Ports (more total ports, but rather noisy fan)
$135 at Amazon
D-Link PoE Switch, 8 Port Smart Managed Gigabit Ethernet Layer 2 VLAN Control (DGS-1100-08P) - (compact, quiet, but only regular POE. Not for PTZ's)
$104 at Amazon

Last edited:

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Only thing I can say is whatever switch you're getting add 4-8 more ports to what you're thinking of getting. My 4 ports became 8, then 12, now at 24. LOL. Should've started with at least a 16 myself at the beginning - would have been cheaper.

Reaction score
Only thing I can say is whatever switch you're getting add 4-8 more ports to what you're thinking of getting. My 4 ports became 8, then 12, now at 24. LOL. Should've started with at least a 16 myself at the beginning - would have been cheaper.
You are right. Which is why i started with an 18 port, which gives me 16 for cams and 2 up links.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have never had a netgear switch need to be power cycled. All my equipment are on UPSs. I am a big believer in keep it simple. I use multiple 4-8 port switches, so all the eggs are not in one basket. It also simplifies the need to run all the witre to a single location.