Switches for Dahua NVR

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m after some advice. What’s the best way to add an Dahua 8 way switch to an NVR so that if I have say two switches to one NVR? Is that possible as I’ve never done it before.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m after some advice. What’s the best way to add an Dahua 8 way switch to an NVR so that if I have say two switches to one NVR? Is that possible as I’ve never done it before.
note :
Additional switches to NVRs typically are on the WLAN side not PoE ports ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You would need to attach the switch to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR, not a POE port.

Further, you cannot add more cameras than the capacity of the NVR.

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right okay. How would I add two switches to the NVR. As it’s at two ends of the building with the NVR in the middle? Also how would you do it in the gui of the nvr. So from complete scratch of adding the NVR and cameras onto the switch?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You would have to connect wire from one switch (or other peripherals it goes thru) to the other switch and then from that switch to the NVR.

You will have to manually add the cameras to the NVR.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right okay. How would I add two switches to the NVR. As it’s at two ends of the building with the NVR in the middle? Also how would you do it in the gui of the nvr. So from complete scratch of adding the NVR and cameras onto the switch?
NVR WLAN <-> switch <-> (1) and (2) PoE switches ..

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You would have to connect wire from one switch (or other peripherals it goes thru) to the other switch and then from that switch to the NVR.

You will have to manually add the cameras to the NVR.
Right okay. What ports would I connect the Cat5e to on each switch? Do you just add the switch in the same was as adding cameras? How do you get the cameras to go on to the switch and some to the NVR?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
EXAMPLE:
CAMS 1 THRU 6 TO POE SWITCH 1, CAMS 7 THROUGH 12 TO POE SWITCH 2, POE SWITCH 2 TO POE SWITCH 1, POE SWITCH 1 TO NVR LAN PORT;
UNIQUE STATIC IP FOR ALL CAMS AND NVR'S LAN IN SAME SUBNET AS THE NVR'S LAN.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it is dumb (unmanaged) switch it doesn't matter how they are connected.

You only connect cameras to the POE port of the NVR if the cable goes direct to the camera.

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are the switches:

It’s just got an Uplink 1 and Uplink 2

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

RDB85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right I will give that a go. So I would essentially plug a cable into uplink one that would go to the NVR and then plug a cable into uplink 2 that would go to the other switch into uplink 2

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right I will give that a go. So I would essentially plug a cable into uplink one that would go to the NVR and then plug a cable into uplink 2 that would go to the other switch into uplink 2
Yep....or if no "uplink"-designated port then just any port on the POE switch. A non-POE port, such as a NVR's LAN port, can be connected to the POE port of a 802.3af/at-compliant POE switch without issue.:cool: