Switching from Blue Iris to NVR suggestions on compatibility and remote viewing.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Morning all, I have Hikvision and Dahua IP POE cameras, about 7 in total that are about 3 years old. I'm renting my home and need to connect them to an NVR that will provide access via APP to view the cameras. I told the tenants I would recommend some NVRs, are there any that work with both Hikvision and Dahua?. I've always used BI but can't have that setup when I'm renting for obvious reasons. Any help is greatly appreciated for compatible NVRs.

Cameras:
DAHUA IPC-HDW5231R-Z
HIKVISION CMIP3142-28S

Thanks!

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If trying to use IP cams that are 3 years old or more from 2 different OEM's I feel it's VERY important to determine ONVIF compatibility and for that you need exact camera model numbers and some Google Fu....IMO.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If trying to use IP cams that are 3 years old or more from 2 different OEM's I feel it's VERY important to determine ONVIF compatibility and for that you need exact camera model numbers and some Google Fu....IMO.
I found my camera models, what do I need to check to see what NVR I need?
Cameras:
DAHUA IPC-HDW5231R-Z
HIKVISION CMIP3142-28S

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why can’t you have bi setup when you are renting?

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why can’t you have bi setup when you are renting?
I don’t want to leave computer behind. Have it connected, deal with everything and any issues that arise. Tenant not tech savvy. It will be the tenants responsibility to provid e an NVR. im leaving the cameras behind.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t want to leave computer behind. Have it connected, deal with everything and any issues that arise. Tenant not tech savvy. It will be the tenants responsibility to provid e an NVR. im leaving the cameras behind.
They will never be able to hook up the NVR. you will do it. Then when it doesnt work they way they want they will blame you. You are best off just leaving the cameras disabled.
Not only is BI just as reliable and stable as an NVR, remote access is easier should the need arise.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They will never be able to hook up the NVR. you will do it. Then when it doesnt work they way they want they will blame you. You are best off just leaving the cameras disabled.
Not only is BI just as reliable and stable as an NVR, remote access is easier should the need arise.
Maybe but computer issues, drives etc, can lead to more problems so don’t want to leave it.
I’m only making suggestions and articulating they are responsible for doing it if they want to use cameras. I’m not removing them as they are all over and more of a pain. Just leaving the drops labeled and making suggestions for the NVR but advising to do their own research.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Google those models, looks in the "specifications", see if listed as "ONVIF" compatible.
I believe they all have ONVIF capabilities if I remember correctly when looking at each camera spec. They were bought in late 2016. But thanks I’m going to confirm.