switching to Blue Iris

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nvr crashed. I have all the components in place for Blue Iris. Tower, poe switch. I have not down loaded yet. Realistically how long should I plan for the initial set up including down loading software moving cameras over to BI and viewing cameras. I am nervous after reading previous install posts as I am not super techie. Also would BI tech support purchase be helpful. thanks for any tips, short cuts and do's and dont's

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are somewhat computer savvy, it really doesn't take any longer than setting up and NVR. I can probably set it up faster than an NVR LOL.

Of course there is A LOT of customization and tweakings you can do, but to get a basic system up and running with BI default motion detection to get something in place doesn't take too long.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I set up a new system with 8 cameras in under 4 hours. Allocate about 8 hours over a few days.

1) do a complete clean install of windows 10. using "microsoft media creation tool" .
2) purchase and download the last stable addition for Blue Iris.
3) connect and add one camera at a time, you may need to change the IP address of the camera coming from the NVR.

Keep the install simple on the install. Do not try to use to many features, just get the cameras recording direct to disk.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd say if you can configure an NVR then you shouldn't have any issues installing and configuring BI.
Start small. I would not use AI until you are ready.
I'd say you can move one camera over and have it working in less than 2 hours.

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ok great I will do one camera at a time in default , if all goes well will bring the rest of the cameras in

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
It's probably going to seem kind of overwhelming just walking in the door. But as above keep it simple to start and you'll be OK. You'll have plenty of help here for pretty much anything that you run into. It's not really the kind of thing that you'll set up once and be done with it. And you don't have to do everything at once. It could be but doubtful that it will work out that way. Get the basics up and running and learn as you go from there. I've had mine up for years and years and I'm still messing around with various things at times.

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I set up a new system with 8 cameras in under 4 hours. Allocate about 8 hours over a few days.

1) do a complete clean install of windows 10. using "microsoft media creation tool" .
2) purchase and download the last stable addition for Blue Iris.
3) connect and add one camera at a time, you may need to change the IP address of the camera coming from the NVR.

Keep the install simple on the install. Do not try to use to many features, just get the cameras recording direct to disk.
do you know which version is the last stable and do I select it when I download BI

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll see the selection to "Install latest critical or highly-stable update" under the button to "Check for News and Updates" on the screen where you put in your license key. Looks to be 5.6.6.1 now.