System for parents is this pc ok?

vwsplitty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
good morning
I am swaying my parents to go over to using blueiris from and old analog type cctv system. They want around 6 POE camera and will mostly go with the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE like I have myself.

What I would like to ask is regarding the pc setup has anyone got any recommendations currently going?

I have looked at a couple on eBay wonder if they are ok as went for the recommended I5 6500 cpu. One HP and one Dell as per below.

HP ProDesk 600 G2 MT 6th Gen Intel i5-6500 3.20 GHz 4GB RAM 1TB HDD TOWER PC | eBay

2.Dell Optiplex 3046 - Intel i5 6500 @ 3.20Ghz - 4GB RAM - 500GB HDD - Free P&P | eBay

3.HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF i5-6500 3.2GHz 4GB RAM 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD DVD-ROM No OS | eBay

4 older 4th gen i7
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF/ Intel i7 4th Gen/ 4770@3.40GHz /8GB /500GB /Win8/No DVD | eBay

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Your links all just brought me to the ebay homepage :/

I recommend 8 GB of RAM and make sure whatever you buy comes with Windows installed -- that is expensive to buy separately.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
for the HP ones, you may be able to find an official HP recovery/upgrade DVD that will let you load Win-10 for a lot less than you think ;-)

oh should add - you'd still need the CoA for a win 7/8 but on most these days it'll be encoded into the BIOS settings so it'll just pick that up and go...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for the HP ones, you may be able to find an official HP recovery/upgrade DVD that will let you load Win-10 for a lot less than you think ;-)

oh should add - you'd still need the CoA for a win 7/8 but on most these days it'll be encoded into the BIOS settings so it'll just pick that up and go...
FYI - Microsoft is complicating some of the recycling of PCs w/windows OSes
( He got a 15 month jail sentence for burning restore CDs for the PCs he was recycling which had windows OSes originally installed from the vendor ( Dell ). )

Eric Lundgren, ‘e-waste’ recycling innovator, faces prison for trying to extend life span of PCs

vwsplitty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Attachments

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

vwsplitty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

the one I have just listed above says it comes with w7 COA will I be able to get a free update to win10 with that?

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI - Microsoft is complicating some of the recycling of PCs w/windows OSes
( He got a 15 month jail sentence for burning restore CDs for the PCs he was recycling which had windows OSes originally installed from the vendor ( Dell ). )

Eric Lundgren, ‘e-waste’ recycling innovator, faces prison for trying to extend life span of PCs

ah well, burning copies isn't a good idea given no purchase was made. However there are official recovery/driver DVD's which do require a purchase to have been made, and those do allow you to fresh load the PC and will register correctly. Just a case of finding the correct DVD for the appropriate make/model range.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah well, burning copies isn't a good idea given no purchase was made. However there are official recovery/driver DVD's which do require a purchase to have been made, and those do allow you to fresh load the PC and will register correctly. Just a case of finding the correct DVD for the appropriate make/model range.
Hi Aengus4h,

Well, the thing is that the windows OS license is tied to the Dell hardware which was recycled. ( this occurs when an OEM bundles the windows OS with a system, if you purchase the windows OS software separately it is a different license )

Often Dell and other OEMs do not always provide the CDs ( or DVDs, I am using CDs in the generic way here ) but require the owner / user to download the recovery software from Dell and burn onto a CD ( or DVD ) and then restore.

He purchased / was given / legally acquired the Hardware, and thus as the current legal owner downloaded the restore software and burned on to a CD ( DVD ).

He then sold the hardware to the next owner and provided the burned restore CD / DVD.

Also note - that purchasing the restore CD / DVD without the associated hardware may also break copyright law - as the software is tied to the hardware.
( microsoft WILL go after sellers selling such software on ebay and shutdown those auctions and may even bring legal action against them as "pirates' - no joke here. )

The entire episode does affect us as we do recommend people to purchase used windows i5/i7 PCs - as well as affecting the entire rights of consumers, repairers, recyclers of goods with licensed software.

This is especially an issue with systems whose HDDs have failed or been destroyed in the recycling process.

Last edited:

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yep, that is generally the case. Smart sellers will supply a piece of manufacturer hardware along with the DVD so that you're both covered in that the DVD was purchased with OEM hardware. Whether that hardware works or is at all useful tho is another matter, but so long as it covers off the legalities it shouldn't matter to the buyer as it'll be surplus anyway.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, that is generally the case. Smart sellers will supply a piece of manufacturer hardware along with the DVD so that you're both covered in that the DVD was purchased with OEM hardware. Whether that hardware works or is at all useful tho is another matter, but so long as it covers off the legalities it shouldn't matter to the buyer as it'll be surplus anyway.
Thus, why this is a very concerning case for everyone involved in the 2nd hand market.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So true, if as a private individual you'd burned the DVD's to be able to recover, then years later decided to wipe and sell it on, why wouldn't you ship the discs with it. Seems a reasonable thing to do to help the buyer out.

But as a business refurbishing and selling on, different rules apply as you'd be supplying copies rather than OEM badged and supplied media. Yet without the CoA its just a generic copy of winwoes so ya kinda have to ask - why would it really matter (unless of course the recovery media holds the SID and product key I guess). But them's the rules so its worth being aware of them.

Perhaps little-shaft decided that they were selling systems with the same keys and decided to whack that on the head?
Joke is - anyone did the free Win10 upgrade? I bet I know your product key ;-)
(they seem to have used the same one on all of my system estate and I've >10 machines here at home all with different W7/8 CoA's lol)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So true, if as a private individual you'd burned the DVD's to be able to recover, then years later decided to wipe and sell it on, why wouldn't you ship the discs with it. Seems a reasonable thing to do to help the buyer out.

But as a business refurbishing and selling on, different rules apply as you'd be supplying copies rather than OEM badged and supplied media. Yet without the CoA its just a generic copy of winwoes so ya kinda have to ask - why would it really matter (unless of course the recovery media holds the SID and product key I guess). But them's the rules so its worth being aware of them...
Hi Aengus4h,

Those are the rules Microsoft, John Wiley & Sons, John Deere, Hikvision USA, Dahua USA, and others want to bind us with.

Recall the book industry also wanted to apply those rules to us. ( John Wiley & Sons vs Supap Kirtsaeng iirc , the most recent SCOTUS case regarding grey market books resold to US residents.)

The SCOTUS has upheld the principle of first sale rights numerous times ( a key right, which helps enable a robust market of goods )

vwsplitty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Went for the system in The picture above in the end. I5 6600 8GB ram and 2TB hard drive, gonna pop and ssd in and hopefully good to go for them with the world of blueiris!

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Should be good, can't recall if that model takes an MSATA SSD, which can save a drive bay if it does. I run a few USDT versions here and they do in the 8300 model and above. My main desktop is an 800G1 i7 with MXM graphics card, boot time is a handfull of seconds :)

You can download the maintenance guide from the HP website along with drivers etc, worth noting tho that HP use non standard power supply connections to the mainboard, and the BIOS isn't as open as ASUS etc which may limit the GFX card options. Best to consult the maintenance guide and stick with known supported options or cards that are well reported to have worked.

vwsplitty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Should be good, can't recall if that model takes an MSATA SSD, which can save a drive bay if it does. I run a few USDT versions here and they do in the 8300 model and above. My main desktop is an 800G1 i7 with MXM graphics card, boot time is a handfull of seconds :)

You can download the maintenance guide from the HP website along with drivers etc, worth noting tho that HP use non standard power supply connections to the mainboard, and the BIOS isn't as open as ASUS etc which may limit the GFX card options. Best to consult the maintenance guide and stick with known supported options or cards that are well reported to have worked.

So for the one with I5 5600 and checked online and still have 19months hp warranty!

Also bonus loaded up and win10 iso from
Microsoft site and bingo win7COA entered and all ok!

I went down the route for a standard ssd and there is lots of confusing information on using m.2 for these. In a nutshell can only boot from
Sata0 and if using m.2 needs to be pcie interface version only.

Now just waiting for @EMPIRETECANDY to deliver my cameras and I should have some happy folks.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
excellent, a good bargain then :)

Not sure re the M2 sata PCIE, but as I recall there is a mini PCIE slot or even 2 of, one for the sata ssd board and one for wifi module, but not having access to the SFF or larger models any more I can't confirm. I'm using the USDT (USFF) smaller units myself and they boot just fine from the MSATA boards which is handy given they only have 1x 2.5 HDD slot and one optical which limits storage options.