System Upgrade Recommendations

Lude2Envy

n3wb
Reaction score
Good evening. I'm currently looking to upgrade the system in my house, but after watching several reviews on YouTube and doing my own research, I'm having trouble deciding on a system to go with. When I bought my house, it came with a hard wired Speco system already installed. I have a Speco DVR and eight Speco 1080p dome cameras around the perimeter of my house - all outside obviously. The cameras area all connected via CAT5E cable. Each CAT5 cable is split so the cameras receive their power from an electrical junction box, and the video is converted to what appears to be a coaxial connection to the DVR. I think my best option would be to replace the DVR with a NVR, crimp RJ45 connectors on each of the CAT5 cables (which I have plenty of experience doing), and replacing the cameras with IP cameras that have some AI capabilities and whatnot. I'm not looking for a cheap system, but a really good and reliable overall system. I think I would also like to stick with dome cameras as well. It looks like Axis makes pretty good cameras, especially for their IR night imaging, but I'm not sure they're the best option. Some of my cameras are mounted under the roof overhang, and others are mounted on the side of the house. I do want at least 4K resolution with a good image in all lighting conditions, and preferably able to detect audio as well. With the NVR I'd like to be able to receive alerts on my phone and solid playback viewing remotely from an iOS device or web browser. Thanks for any recomendations and input.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Much to learn you have....

Are you sure that it is truly Cat5E wiring? Some systems use "proprietary" wiring and won't run a true POE IP camera. My neighbor just found that out with his old Zmodo system that looked like it had ethernet wiring.

Domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than other cameras and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event with IR, the camera is basically blind...but even without rain, the reflections of lights even outside the field of view can throw weird reflections into the dome.

1671119162254.png

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight.

We have more people coming here posting a problem picture at night thinking there is a problem with their dome camera when in reality it is the IR bounce from some object that the dome is then capturing and magnifying.

You need to be chasing sensor size, not MP.

To many people 4MP represents the best overall sweet spot.

Keep in mind the good 4K cameras need to be on 1/1.2" sensors and those cameras are only good for OVERVIEW purposes or IDENTIFY within 15 feet or so of the camera. These cameras are not like Hollywood where you can digital zoom, at least not very much and not at night.

Further, these 4K cameras demonstrate that these types of cameras are not infinity focus and they have a small focus range of about 15-18 feet and anything shorter or longer than that distance will be soft/blurry.

It is not recommended to buy kit/complete system, but rather to purchase each camera for the goal of that camera.

Almost every big box store, consumer grade cameras and all-in-one-box kits come with either 2.8mm or 3.6mm cameras. I started with the four 2.8mm camera box kit system and I was like "I can place one on each corner of the house and see my whole property and the whole neighborhood." A newbie loves the wide angle "I can see the whole neighborhood" of the 2.8mm fixed wide angle lens. I LOVED IT WHEN I PUT IT UP. I could see everything that would be blocked looking out the windows.

It is easy to get lured in to thinking the wide angle "see the whole neighborhood" because you are watching it and you see a neighbor go by and you are like "Look at that I can tell that is Heather out walking." and "Yeah I can tell our neighbor 4 down just passed by". Or you watch back the video of you walking around and are like "yeah I can tell that is me".

Little do we realize how much WE can identify a known person just by hair style, clothing, walking pace, gait, etc.

Then one day the door checker comes by. Total stranger. Totally useless video other than what time the door checking happened.

Then you realize that this wide-angle see the whole neighborhood comes at a cost and that cost is not being able to IDENTIFY who did it. These 2.8mm wide angle cameras are great overview cameras or to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet of the camera. At 40 feet out you need a different camera.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

It is recommended to buy one varifocal like the 5442-ZE (54IR-ZE) and play and learn from it and then buy cameras to meet your need for each location.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good evening. I'm currently looking to upgrade the system in my house, but after watching several reviews on YouTube and doing my own research, I'm having trouble deciding on a system to go with. When I bought my house, it came with a hard wired Speco system already installed. I have a Speco DVR and eight Speco 1080p dome cameras around the perimeter of my house - all outside obviously. The cameras area all connected via CAT5E cable. Each CAT5 cable is split so the cameras receive their power from an electrical junction box, and the video is converted to what appears to be a coaxial connection to the DVR. I think my best option would be to replace the DVR with a NVR, crimp RJ45 connectors on each of the CAT5 cables (which I have plenty of experience doing), and replacing the cameras with IP cameras that have some AI capabilities and whatnot. I'm not looking for a cheap system, but a really good and reliable overall system. I think I would also like to stick with dome cameras as well. It looks like Axis makes pretty good cameras, especially for their IR night imaging, but I'm not sure they're the best option. Some of my cameras are mounted under the roof overhang, and others are mounted on the side of the house. I do want at least 4K resolution with a good image in all lighting conditions, and preferably able to detect audio as well. With the NVR I'd like to be able to receive alerts on my phone and solid playback viewing remotely from an iOS device or web browser. Thanks for any recomendations and input.
Welcome @Lude2Envy

Check the quality of the cat5e .. if good quality cat5e ( not CCA ), I would definitely go the NVR and IP PoE camera route.

Dome cameras, in general not recommended by members outdoors ..

If you like that sort of style, consider Turret models instead.

Take some time to learn first before you jump and buy a kit ..

Lude2Envy

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @Lude2Envy

Check the quality of the cat5e .. if good quality cat5e ( not CCA ), I would definitely go the NVR and IP PoE camera route.

Dome cameras, in general not recommended by members outdoors ..

If you like that sort of style, consider Turret models instead.

Take some time to learn first before you jump and buy a kit ..
I'm definitely interested in the NVR/IP PoE camera route. Here is a pic of my current CAT5E cable.

Attachments

Lude2Envy

n3wb
Reaction score
Much to learn you have....

Are you sure that it is truly Cat5E wiring? Some systems use "proprietary" wiring and won't run a true POE IP camera. My neighbor just found that out with his old Zmodo system that looked like it had ethernet wiring.

Domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than other cameras and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event with IR, the camera is basically blind...but even without rain, the reflections of lights even outside the field of view can throw weird reflections into the dome.

1671119162254.png

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight.

We have more people coming here posting a problem picture at night thinking there is a problem with their dome camera when in reality it is the IR bounce from some object that the dome is then capturing and magnifying.

You need to be chasing sensor size, not MP.

To many people 4MP represents the best overall sweet spot.

Keep in mind the good 4K cameras need to be on 1/1.2" sensors and those cameras are only good for OVERVIEW purposes or IDENTIFY within 15 feet or so of the camera. These cameras are not like Hollywood where you can digital zoom, at least not very much and not at night.

Further, these 4K cameras demonstrate that these types of cameras are not infinity focus and they have a small focus range of about 15-18 feet and anything shorter or longer than that distance will be soft/blurry.

It is not recommended to buy kit/complete system, but rather to purchase each camera for the goal of that camera.

Almost every big box store, consumer grade cameras and all-in-one-box kits come with either 2.8mm or 3.6mm cameras. I started with the four 2.8mm camera box kit system and I was like "I can place one on each corner of the house and see my whole property and the whole neighborhood." A newbie loves the wide angle "I can see the whole neighborhood" of the 2.8mm fixed wide angle lens. I LOVED IT WHEN I PUT IT UP. I could see everything that would be blocked looking out the windows.

It is easy to get lured in to thinking the wide angle "see the whole neighborhood" because you are watching it and you see a neighbor go by and you are like "Look at that I can tell that is Heather out walking." and "Yeah I can tell our neighbor 4 down just passed by". Or you watch back the video of you walking around and are like "yeah I can tell that is me".

Little do we realize how much WE can identify a known person just by hair style, clothing, walking pace, gait, etc.

Then one day the door checker comes by. Total stranger. Totally useless video other than what time the door checking happened.

Then you realize that this wide-angle see the whole neighborhood comes at a cost and that cost is not being able to IDENTIFY who did it. These 2.8mm wide angle cameras are great overview cameras or to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet of the camera. At 40 feet out you need a different camera.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

It is recommended to buy one varifocal like the 5442-ZE (54IR-ZE) and play and learn from it and then buy cameras to meet your need for each location.
I definitely agree with everything you said......especially the much to learn part. Two of my cameras that aren't protected have already started to fog up light car headlights. I didn't realize domes weren't good for outdoors. Like I said, I didn't install this system - it came with the house. I don't want an all in one kit either. I like your recommendation for getting each camera based on it's purpose. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't really want a kit. I like what wittaj said about getting each cameras based on it's specific purpose. I do want a NVR with PoE IP cameras though.
I can almost guarantee you that most people on here recommends starting with the camera in this kit unless you are trying to capture video at a long distance!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The difference is the "kit" mentioned above isn't a traditional kit. The cameras are varifocal and don't come all in one box.

It is a special deal combining.

Lude2Envy

n3wb
Reaction score
The difference is the "kit" mentioned above isn't a traditional kit. The cameras are varifocal and don't come all in one box.

It is a special deal combining.
Some of my domes are mounted under the roof overhang, and some are mounted on the side of the house. Can those turrets be mounted sideways?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't really want a kit. I like what wittaj said about getting each cameras based on it's specific purpose. I do want a NVR with PoE IP cameras though.
That's not really a kit, but more of a package. I would start with just one of the varifiocals included in the package to see what you need and then maybe it makes more sense to buy that instead of piece meal.

Some of my domes are mounted under the roof overhang, and some are mounted on the side of the house. Can those turrets be mounted sideways?
Yes, the camera is basically a ball and socket and the housing/shroud rotates so you can align the cut out with the lens projection from the ball. There may be some limitations in some orientations, but for the most part under soffit or on siding should give you full range of adjustment.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is also wall mounts (see picture), that you can use to mount on the side of your house. Just make sure you get correct mount for correct camera!

Attachments

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I'll check it out. Will it work with my CAT5E cable?
That wire definitely says Cat5e and the listed specs match normal cat5e specs, so you should be able to use that wire for other IP cameras in the future. However it sounds like you are going to need to re-terminate all of the ends because of the "unique" wiring job that you currently have. So yes, you can reuse that wire, but likely not without undoing the unique terminations to industry standard network plugs. This isn't hard to do, but I don't think your system is going to be "plug and play" the way it is currently set up.

Lude2Envy

n3wb
Reaction score
That wire definitely says Cat5e and the listed specs match normal cat5e specs, so you should be able to use that wire for other IP cameras in the future. However it sounds like you are going to need to re-terminate all of the ends because of the "unique" wiring job that you currently have. So yes, you can reuse that wire, but likely not without undoing the unique terminations to industry standard network plugs. This isn't hard to do, but it doesn't sound like your system is going to be "plug and play" either the way it is currently set up.
Yeah I already figured that. It's easy enough to crimp the connectors on. Just need to see if the other end is T568A or T568B first.