Tapo 325wb colorpro vs a normal infared night vision camera

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Specs say it's got a 1/1.79" sensor...not bad for 4MB cam but as @bigredfish says, movement at night will tell the tale.

It can stream via RTSP to VLC or Blue Iris according to this (I've done both with their Tapo C-110) but the biggest down side I see for an outdoor-rated camera is that it's not POE but instead needs a 9VDC wall wart power supply. :confused:

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So more or less same sensor as a 5442? It should do well then
BUT what they do with the firmware makes or breaks it...

Reolink puts in some models the same Sony Starlight sensor Dahua uses, and we know what happens to their motion at night.

Like you said, static images that look great are easy...let's see some motion with that camera at night!

justthefacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BUT what they do with the firmware makes or breaks it...

Reolink puts in some models the same Sony Starlight sensor Dahua uses, and we know what happens to their motion at night.

Like you said, static images that look great are easy...let's see some motion with that camera at night!
Do you want a car or person ? I will post it when i can catch either at night !

justthefacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tapo is going to release the 525wb Colorpro soon it will have PTZ and POE option ! I'm getting it when it's available !

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you want a car or person ? I will post it when i can catch either at night !
Both! If you have found a cheaper camera that can freeze frame and get clean captures at night, many will be interested in that!

justthefacts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right now Tapo has the 325wb on sale for $99 and 50% off then you buy 2 of them so I bought 2 more for $162 to the door.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Person entering the porch and near the camera.

Frankly at distance (say 100-200ft), I can slow shutter down to 1/30 and still not see much blur in a slow moving car. At closer "ID" distances with a human it becomes apparent.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Specs say it's got a 1/1.79" sensor...not bad for 4MB cam but as @bigredfish says, movement at night will tell the tale.

It can stream via RTSP to VLC or Blue Iris according to this (I've done both with their Tapo C-110) but the biggest down side I see for an outdoor-rated camera is that it's not POE but instead needs a 9VDC wall wart power supply. :confused:
I've seen POE splitters on Amazon that allow different output voltages. I believe 5v, 9v and 12v

Don't have time to look right now but they exist. But just another device to buy and another point of failure.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
TP-Link has one that I've used which works well. But they're not weather-resistant. I have had a couple outside in a covered location and in a shed and they've done OK.

Looks like I ordered them in 2017 so that's a pretty good track record.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen POE splitters on Amazon that allow different output voltages. I believe 5v, 9v and 12v

Don't have time to look right now but they exist. But just another device to buy and another point of failure.
Oh for sure, I've seen those. But they're bulky and need protection. Cost for it and a box to protect it, etc. is a PITA and built-in POE in any outdoor cam is preferred, IMO.

I've been buying TP-LINK routers, switches, outdoor AP's and bridges,Ethernet and wireless cards for over 10 years and have 2 of their indoor Tapo cams....great stuff. But if they ever expect to be taken seriously in CCTV they need to also provide surveillance-grade IP cams that are truly for outdoor use and get off the wall wart kick and go with 802.3af/at POE.....just my opinion.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh for sure, I've seen those. But they're bulky and need protection. Cost for it and a box to protect it, etc. is a PITA and built-in POE in any outdoor cam is preferred, IMO.

I've been buying TP-LINK routers, switches, outdoor AP's and bridges,Ethernet and wireless cards for over 10 years and have 2 of their indoor Tapo cams....great stuff. But if they ever expect to be taken seriously in CCTV they need to also provide surveillance-grade IP cams that are truly for outdoor use and get off the wall wart kick and go with 802.3af/at POE.....just my opinion.
I'm planning on using a couple of these for the access points for my home wifi. The access points are old routers that I've picked up for $10 and $20. Most are 9v so I can power everything with a POE switch and then adjust the voltage. Of course, this will all be indoors.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning on using a couple of these for the access points for my home wifi. The access points are old routers that I've picked up for $10 and $20. Most are 9v so I can power everything with a POE switch and then adjust the voltage. Of course, this will all be indoors.
I've got a TP-LINK Archer C1900 set up as an AP only, works great for the far end of the house + the Reolink Wi-Fi doorbell at the rear door, using 5GHz. Strangely, it has a 12VDC wall wart, maybe cause of it higher power output which is 23dBm for the 5GHz.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above.

I can make a cheapo camera look like noon at midnight but then motion is a complete blur.

If it is an overview cam, that is fine, but if motion is a blur and we want it to ID perps, then it is bad.

Last edited: