Telnet credentials for HIK NVRs?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the latest firmware 3.0.9 for the HIK NVR family 760XNI-SE/P, HIK has a setting for enabling the Telnet to the NVR.
Does anyone know the credentials to login with telnet to HIK NVRs?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if it's the same as the 7816N-E2/P that I had delivered today, telnetuser=root telnetpw=12345 by default (or maybe whatever you changed admin to)

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. It works. The telenetpassword is the admin password that I have defined.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's good it worked for you.
The 7816N-E2/8P I just received has 3.0.8 firmware, with a few flaws or problems that it would be good not to have.
If 3.0.9 is released (though I can see no evidence in my searches) it would be good to try an update. Did the 3.0.9 firmware come with your device? Or if not - can you point me to where it could be downloaded?
Many thanks.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I purchased my 7604NI-SEP last June and it came with the oldest version 2.3.7.

The version 3.0.9 can only be found at the european portal
at http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Recorder/DS-76xxNI-SE 76xxNI-V(VP)/V3.0.9 Build140928/
(This firmware does not exist in the USA FTP server!!!)

I have posted my upgrading experiences in this and other forums. Avoid upgrading the NVR remotely through the web interface. Prefer the USB flash stick. Also familiarize your self with the debricking process with the TFTP utility from HIK Vision. This and other forums have taught me as well a lot about HIK, It is a very steep reading curve.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for a quick reply.
The release note mentions only the 76xx NVR models - not the 7816N-E2/8P
I'm wondering if the firmware in the link would be compatible.
Do you know if the upgrade process validates the firmware against the hardware model? Although the de-bricking process looks fairly straightforward I'd hate to break the device I've only had for a couple of days.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are some validations but nobody knows what exactly validations are done. One thing is certain, the upgrading checks a region flag to validate if the product (camera, NVR) is destined for the same region as the firmware. They check for example if the camera is destined for china or for the western world. Check the work of region change from the CBX member.

With respect to the de-bricking process. I would say that whatever you have to do to learn, do it during the warranty period before you commision permanently the system into operation. In this way you will minimise future mishaps due to your lack of knowledge. Do not expect any dealer to help you learn. Their moto is "if it works, do not touch it", they do not bother to get into trouble and spend anytime.