Temporary App viewer suggestions

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My BI computer suffered a mobo failure so I'm offline for a while and no recording or phone viewing. The cameras are still running via my POE switch. I have only used the the BI phone app so no experience with other options.
Can you recommend a good option for live viewing via my phone or tablet until the BI machine is back up?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My BI computer suffered a mobo failure so I'm offline for a while and no recording or phone viewing. The cameras are still running via my POE switch. I have only used the the BI phone app so no experience with other options.
Can you recommend a good option for live viewing via my phone or tablet until the BI machine is back up?
if you want to view recorded video you will need the manufacture app....for live video only see tinycam pro...dont port forward...use vpn

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I downloaded TCP, (Free version), selected scan network...I have 5 Dahua cameras and 1 Cheap-o Foscam currently running through the POE switch in the same IP range but it only found the Foscam?
Any thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I downloaded TCP, (Free version), selected scan network...I have 5 Dahua cameras and 1 Cheap-o Foscam currently running through the POE switch in the same IP range but it only found the Foscam?
Any thoughts?
did you try manually entering the ip's

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I could not find a manual entry option. Only "scan Network" option. Maybe not available on the free version?

So, dumb question on that point...If I could manually add cameras, I know what my IP addresses are for the cameras at home, (192.168.0.xx)...but how do I find out each camera's external IP address so I can also view through the app when not at home?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I could not find a manual entry option. Only "scan Network" option. Maybe not available on the free version?

So, dumb question on that point...If I could manually add cameras, I know what my IP addresses are for the cameras at home, (192.168.0.xx)...but how do I find out each camera's external IP address so I can also view through the app when not at home?
there is a manual entry..when you add a camera there is an entry for ip/hostname...
you should be using vpn and a local ip...
port forwarding cameras is not secure

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Found it....little + button...It initially default populates for the Foscam but I can change and save as a new cam.
I'm probably just going to add and use local lan just to view cams at home until I get my BI computer set up, then I'll work on a VPN set up.
I was just curious how I identify my external IP for each camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you dont...you would port forward and then use your wan ip + a different port for each camera...but as noted that is a terrible idea.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Found it....little + button...It initially default populates for the Foscam but I can change and save as a new cam.
I'm probably just going to add and use local lan just to view cams at home until I get my BI computer set up, then I'll work on a VPN set up.
Help selection in TinyCam is helpful.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree. I was just curious about the external IP thing. I get it now. I am using this setup so I can view the cameras locally at home until I get my computer repaired.
Thanks for the direction.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. I was just curious about the external IP thing. I get it now. I am using this setup so I can view the cameras locally at home until I get my computer repaired.
Thanks for the direction.
Tinycam will use the same IP's. You use the VPN to connect to your home network from your phone, and Tiny thinks its still on the local network.