Temporary Installation of BI

viziers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey all, I was going to buy BI and install it on my laptop to run 2 cams temporalily to play with it until our new house is built. Will there be any issues of taking it off my laptop and then installing it in its permemanant home license wise?

vizi

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No. Simply perform the export function to export your settings and cameras, and then deactivate the license on the original installation. Then install BI on your new machine, and then activate the license on the new machine. Then import your cameras and settings into your new installation. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is. It is a very simple process, even I can do it.

viziers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No. Simply perform the export function to export your settings and cameras, and then deactivate the license on the original installation. Then install BI on your new machine, and then activate the license on the new machine. Then import your cameras and settings into your new installation. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is. It is a very simple process, even I can do it.

I just did not want to get stuck having to purchase 2 license keys which was my main concern.

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Presumably you also copy the alerts and new folder and all other directories to the new machine too? How about the DB folder would you copy this or would you let this create itself?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Presumably you also copy the alerts and new folder and all other directories to the new machine too? How about the DB folder would you copy this or would you let this create itself?
Yes, I would imagine so...but @fenderman could best answer this question. My database and clips are not that important to me, so I would not need to migrate them; I would simply do a new install and be done with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

lusk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I would imagine so...but @fenderman could best answer this question. My database and clips are not that important to me, so I would not need to migrate them; I would simply do a new install and be done with it.
I suspect the DB files and folder would be automatically created.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect the DB files and folder would be automatically created.
They will be automatically created, but my guess is that if you do a virgin install, then shutdown BI (and BI WIn service if it's running), then copy over you database and BI directories you'll have you're old installation cloned to your new computer. @fenderman knows for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not mess around moving the database... start fresh...

viziers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The only thing I planned to carry over from the other would be the settings. I would not migrate the DB over as there would be too many differences in machines that could effect the vid DB.

vizi