Test email doesn't work

Garypsu

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased the HikVision DS-2CD2032F-I US version. I was able to perform all needed configuration options with one exception. The email alert test fails no matter which account that I use. My yahoo account reports "test failed". The gmail account says that my user name or password is incorrect - which is not the case. I've tired various server ports. Help please.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I use gmail and it works the settings are

smtp.gmail.com
465 port,
ssl enabled.
Account is full email address.

Garypsu

n3wb
Reaction score
That's what I'm using, and I'm sure that my user name and password are correct. I'm baffled.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I'm using, and I'm sure that my user name and password are correct. I'm baffled.
Is the camera on the LAN, ie not on an NVR PoE port?
Do you have the camera network default gateway set to your router IP address?
Do you have the camera network DNS server set to your router IP address?
Have you tried setting Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) as the camera DNS IP address?
Does the 'test' button work OK when checking the time server settings?

Garypsu

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the camera on the LAN, ie not on an NVR PoE port?
Do you have the camera network default gateway set to your router IP address?
Do you have the camera network DNS server set to your router IP address?
Have you tried setting Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) as the camera DNS IP address?
Does the 'test' button work OK when checking the time server settings?
I'm not using a DVR. The camera is on the LAN using POE. The DNS server is the main router's IP address. Google's 8.8.8.8 is the DNS IP address. This camera is hard wired via POE to a secodary router that I'm using as a MOCA to Ethernet converter, with wireless disabled. When I test the Network TCP/IP NIC settings with 192.168.1.64 as the IPv4 address, the result is "The address is not used". I don't know what "Route Advertisement" under IPv6 means, so I left it at the default. The time sync test is successful. I'm lost. I have 3 other inexpensive indoor wireless cameras that send email alerts with no issue. I can see this Hikvision's camera's image fine. I can set alert areas, etc. I'm a relative novice at this, but being a 70 year old retired techie guy, I have plenty of time to "play" with this stuff. Thanks for your help, but still not working.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The time sync test is successful.
That's good in the sense that it eliminates several potential causes. Assuming the destination time server is out on the internet and not on your LAN.
It means the gateway to the internet is working, and it means the camera can resolve host names.
Both of these are pre-requisites for the email configuration.
The DNS server is the main router's IP address. Google's 8.8.8.8 is the DNS IP address.
This statement conflicts - assuming just one DNS value is set, it will be one or the other.
Anecdotally, Hikvision cameras work better with 8.8.8.8 as opposed to the router address.

Garypsu

n3wb
Reaction score
My mistake, I meant to say that the ipv4 default gateway is the main router's IP address. And yes, the test using the time server from the Internet is successful.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Do you have 2-factor authentication turned on for Google? Don't know if that would kill remote SMTP but I bet it would.

Did you reduce your Google account security settings? That's important for sending mail from the NVR. Follow the directions here:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

Also, I suggest that you set up a new Gmail account JUST for NVR duties, and in that account set up a forwarding rule to send the messages to their final destination. That's much better than reducing account security on your main Gmail account.

Lastly, once you get it working... I have seem Gmail accounts on NVR duty seize up. They seem to consider a stream of false alarms from one's NVR suspicious! If Gmail stops working, log in to the NVR Gmail account and click through any security questions it has and that should get the mail moving again.

LASTLY, if you make a new Gmail account for your NVR, do NOT associate it with a phone number used on your main account. I may be wrong about this, but from what I saw I think that if you link a "reduced security" account to a normal high-security account via a shared phone number, it may screw up the reduced security settings.

This all may be a red herring since Yahoo didn't work for you either but this Gmail setup worked for me... on 2 NVRs, on 2 ISPs.

Garypsu

n3wb
Reaction score
Horseflesh,
Thank you so much. You were exactly right about the reason for my email alerts not working. I created a new gmail account specifically for the camera, didn't use the 2 step authentication, and the email is now working! I will eventually learn about the many other available configuration items, not necessary right away. Now that the weather is improving in Southern New Jersey, I can get out the ladder to drill a hole above my garage doors and install the camera outside.
P.S. - The SADP tool and Hikvision tools programs installed on my Windows 10 laptop, loaded, but never worked. I probably don't need them. I added the camera manually with port forwarding.

Last edited by a moderator:

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad you got it working, have fun!

FYI I have used SADP on Windows 10, so there's no fundamental reason it shouldn't work if you decide to try again. There must be a setting that needs fixing, somewhere.