Test lenses? Is that a thing?

jamiejunk

n3wb
Reaction score
I have some areas I need security cameras in. But I’m not sure what size lenses I need. So I’m looking for a product kind of like a movie director would use that will show me the view of different lenses from that location.

Basically I’d like to get on a ladder hold the thing up to my eye and see what 2.8mm, 4mm, 6mm, and 12mm would look like if I installed the camera in that location. Does anyone know of such a thing? Or a pack of lenses I could hold up to my eye to look through?

I’ve looked on Amazon and chatted with BH photo, but haven’t had any luck. I feel like I’m not searching for the right keywords or something.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have some areas I need security cameras in. But I’m not sure what size lenses I need. So I’m looking for a product kind of like a movie director would use that will show me the view of different lenses from that location.

Basically I’d like to get on a ladder hold the thing up to my eye and see what 2.8mm, 4mm, 6mm, and 12mm would look like if I installed the camera in that location. Does anyone know of such a thing? Or a pack of lenses I could hold up to my eye to look through?

I’ve looked on Amazon and chatted with BH photo, but haven’t had any luck. I feel like I’m not searching for the right keywords or something.
Hi @jamiejunk

You could construct something out of card board based on the H FOV and V FOV in the camera specs.

I thought about that, or using a 3D printer.

Just found it quicker to buy the varifocals, and use math for the ppf....

Here's the data I used for the 2MP starlight 4xxx series

Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS starlight fixed lens 1080p 1920x1080 w/2.8mm lens H 110° 10 feet 95.94 sqft
Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS starlight fixed lens 1080p 1920x1080 w/3.6mm lens H 87° 12.65 feet 121.43 sqft
Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS starlight fixed lens 1080p 1920x1080 w/6mm lens H 51° 21.58 feet 207.16 sqft

jamiejunk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great tips everyone! I have about 20 cameras i need to buy, so I think i'll just pickup one of each lense type, do a false install in each location and see what size works best for each location and then complete my order once I have my mind made up.

smithb

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great tips everyone! I have about 20 cameras i need to buy, so I think i'll just pickup one of each lense type, do a false install in each location and see what size works best for each location and then complete my order once I have my mind made up.
You could certainly do that, but I think you'll be wasting both time and money. If you don't need audio, you can grab two IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS varifocal turret cameras, a couple of long patch cables, and two bucket rigs for a total cost of about $300. If you buy one of each fixed lens type you're looking at over $500 and you're gambling that they'll all get used. Plus, it's much quicker and easier to zoom in and out with a varifocal installed at a location than to swap out cameras to see which one works best.

ias

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an iPhone app called Lenser. It lets you select a virtual camera body, attach a virtual camera lens and take photos using that combo.
I've held it up at various potential camera mounting locations around my house and taken a picture using different lenses to check field of view. It gave me a rough idea of what the camera would see. As I'm still a noob to the camera / surveillance field I don't know how good it is, or if there are better apps, but it's helped me to get an idea of what the camera will be seeing.