Test Run Video Through Motion Detector

BPet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I get a clip generated by sun/shadows activating the motion detector on a cam. I have the rectangles turned on and so I see the location in the image where the motion is taking place. I replay the clip, and select "Test Run Video Through Motion Detector" and only the areas that I have defined as Zones are visible, the rest of the screen is blacked out - I think that's normal.

Then, I changed the motion detection settings on that camera properties, even something as basic as requiring the motion to occur for 10 seconds. In theory, when replaying the clip in this mode, now with a 10 second minimum duration, I should not see any rectangles because the motion only last for a second or two, correct? I see the same exact motion rectangles as in the original clip.

Humm, maybe the clip has the rectangles recorded onto the clip since I had the rectangles originally set - so I remove the rectangles in the cam properties and return the minimum duration back to 0.7 seconds and wait for the next sun/shadow event. An hour late, it triggers motion based on sun/shadows again - this time with no rectangles visible. I change the settings of the cam back to 'show rectangles' and then replay the clip using "Test Run Video Through Motion Detector". I do not see any rectangles. Shouldn't I see rectangles to show where the motion occurred? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help with this feature! :)

giel

n3wb
Reaction score
I think in "test run" you always see rectangles, regardless of the camera setting. You'll see blue rectangles if any motion is detected and they turn red if the motion would trigger an alert. So if you'd set minimum motion duration to 10s, a blue rectangle would turn red in 10s (also depending on the sensitivity settings).

Not sure why in your second example you wouldn't get any rectangles during the test run...

BPet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
giel - thanks for the reply. Have you used the feature and if so, do you use it with a clip from a previous alert or do you use footage from 'continuous' recording? Trying to figure out why it's not working for me :)

giel

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I've used it a few times... I've used it just by replaying continuous recorded footage. Not saying it wouldn't work otherwise, it's just what I've been doing.

BPet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As I'm playing around with it more, I think my issue had to do with profiles. I have my profiles set for each camera from commands sent to Blue Iris from an outside program...seems like when using Test Run Through Motion Detector, it is running through my Profile #1 - Blue Iris's default profile, not the current profile that the camera is currently set to use and which I have been manipulating.

If I manually set the Global Profile to the profile that I would like to adjust, then run the clip through the "Test Run Through Motion Detector", it works fine.

Last edited:

giel

n3wb
Reaction score
That's good information, I'm sure that it'll come in handy for me at some point. Thanks for sharing.