Testing installation location

catgut66

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

What is the best way to test an install location for a camera so you can view the image before you physically attach the camera? I am hoping there is a better way than running an ethernet line from the NVR to the camera and viewing it through an app on a cell phone.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

What is the best way to test an install location for a camera so you can view the image before you physically attach the camera? I am hoping there is a better way than running an ethernet line from the NVR to the camera and viewing it through an app on a cell phone.

Thanks
hook it up directly to a laptop, use a poe switch/injector in between..you will have to temporarily alter the laptops ipv4 address to match the cameras subnet..

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Catgut66,

fenderman has a good suggestion - viewing on the laptop is the best.

I connected my NVR to my home network, which includes WiFi. My laptop has WiFi. While walking around outside, I viewed the images without any wires connected to the laptop.

I also used a "light bulb changing pole" I had laying around. Typically used for replacing high-up light bulbs. The spring loaded bulb holder did a great job of holding the bullet cam. I could easily check the FOV for cams I wanted to mount out of reach to eaves and soffits. I even left it overnight, to check B&W view.

Have fun.
Fastb

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Catgut66,

fenderman has a good suggestion - viewing on the laptop is the best.

I connected my NVR to my home network, which includes WiFi. My laptop has WiFi. While walking around outside, I viewed the images without any wires connected to the laptop.

I also used a "light bulb changing pole" I had laying around. Typically used for replacing high-up light bulbs. The spring loaded bulb holder did a great job of holding the bullet cam. I could easily check the FOV for cams I wanted to mount out of reach to eaves and soffits. I even left it overnight, to check B&W view.

Have fun.
Fastb
your suggestion requires running a long Ethernet cord to the camera from inside the house.....

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks
Maybe a tall ladder with flat steps that reaches up past the roof edge. Could set the camera on the appropriate step and invert the image. My router works off 12V and I use a motorcycle battery with a regulator circuit board to power my router during lightning storms. Have also used it for the cameras I bought, with camera plugged in a wireless router extender. I imagine you could set a battery with circuit board on the step and power a wireless router extender & camera on the ladder. Just be careful, strong winds can blow over a ladder, plus the footing needs to be even. They also sell flat ethernet cable...run it out the window and almost shut the window closed..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Flat Ethernet cable will not work with PoE; they are like 32awg standed wiring.

Make a test rig w/a Ladder or Lumber and just string some cable outside for a couple of days.. you can then pull that cable through the house later or keep it arround for testing future installs.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Fenderman has a point. A laptop w/ cable to the cam is simple. And an extension cord for the cam power supply (cuz the laptop probably doesn't support POE)

My cam locating method used 100ft monoprice patch cord (inexpensive, but good). Like nayr, the cable was strung temporarily. It went out second floor porch and around the house to the front entrance and later to the garage doors. POE, so no need for an extension cord for cam pwr.

Laptop was great for aiming the camera. I even clamped the telecoping light bulb changer pole to a ladder. Set the cam height, angle, etc. Then ran inside and checked the image on the larger monitor near the NVR. Then tweaked cam location, rinse and repeat as needed.

I'm still a newbie. I've found it takes living with the system to really home in on cam location. I plan on moving some.

So temporarily locating cams is how I'm gonna go when I put cams on the two uncovered sides of my house.

YMMV,
Fastb

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Flat Ethernet cable will not work with PoE; they are like 32awg standed wiring.

Make a test rig w/a Ladder or Lumber and just string some cable outside for a couple of days.. you can then pull that cable through the house later or keep it arround for testing future installs.
Thanks...I looked it up under the Amazon order..embedded in about 54 questions..it's 32 awg. Glad I didn't buy much of it. You've tried it out and definitely doesn't work? BJ

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I havent tried it, I know better.. dc voltage drop is huge on that thin of wiring; you'll never reach spec distance.. You'll be lucky to get 25ft

many people have tried it before here on these forums and failed miserably.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I havent tried it, I know better.. dc voltage drop is huge on that thin of wiring; you'll never reach spec distance.. You'll be lucky to get 25ft

many people have tried it before here on these forums and failed miserably.
Thanks again - I'm glad you mentioned it. I found that for the holiday season Amazon gives a refund for 2 months. Sending back the 2 unopened packs for a $ 31 refund. So blew about $ 10. I really appreciate you letting me know (before I bought 16 packs).. :):rolleyes: