TFTP fails on Hikvision DS-7732NI-I4

k1lbg

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, second post. Have bricked NVR. With lots of help from here, I got as far as connecting Putty to the serial port and also setting up a Hikvision tftp server. I end up in a loop in tftp, connect success and start file transmitting. Never got to completed. Same problem with both versions of TFTP. When I look at the serial console, it looks like it downloads 31MB pretty quickly, then spends about a minute trying to retry, with the screen showing a "T" about once a second, which is probably the retry , finally failing and starting over. The DAV file is 54MB. nvr_k51_bl_ml_std_v4.21.005_109509_0 , anybody familiar with getting TFTP to work. My PCs are all currently Windows, mostly 10, but also W7, and XP. If I must, I could build a laptop with Linux. Thanks

k1lbg

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. My web browser did not like the site that they are at and the software was flagged with a virus. However, I used OpenTFTPServerMTInstallerV1.66 from soruceforge. Then, just as the NVR was booting, I pressed ctrl-U in Putty to interrupt the boot and get to the tftp update screen. I entered the NVR 192.0.0.64 address and the PC server address 192.0.0.128 and everything went wonderfully. Of course I ran the standalone tftp server, and turned off the firewall, etc, etc. So, thank you to everybody that responded or even read, and I hope this will help somebody else.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the Hikvision tftp updater tool has a file size limit of 32MB, and is not a full tftp server either.

I'm not sure why Jounin's site has been flagged as malicious, there is no evidence of problems with the files. The apps have been around for ages and work quite well.

So the NVR is back to being normally accessible now?

k1lbg

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I was able to log in with admin and go back and look at the recordings that we were hoping to recover. I did not spend much time checking everything but it sure seems fine now. Thanks again for the pointers.