The $20 v3 cams from wyzecam - good night performance

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm pretty impressed with the images I've seen other people capture with their v3 Wyzecams at night. I was hoping there would be a direct head to head comparison between something like a 1/1.8" Dahua/Hikvision POE camera and one of these wyzecam v3.

I wish Wyzecam makes a POE version. I really like the small size of these. Doesn't scream "CAMERA!"

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any cheap camera can do a still shot with color at night. Find one with some motion. Bet the motion is all blurred and, even if it's not, there won't be anything close to enough detail to positively identify anyone unless they're within six feet of the camera.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, almost any camera can be made to give a nice still image. That Wyze camera is probably gain full on and a 1/3 shutter speed to allow in a lot of light. What happens when there is motion at night. You cannot compare a $30 camera to a 1/1.8" sensor camera. That's like comparing a Ford Pinto to a Ferrari. The performance between the two will be very different.

Take a look at this great post showing a good camera versus a Ring - I suspect the Wyze performance would be even worse.

Last edited:

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The reviews shows a big improvement over previous models, but I will never compare a security camera with any of the Wyze products, which are specially designed for monitoring situations (nanny cams, etc.).. I will never compromise my security for WiFi devices

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty impressed with the images I've seen other people capture with their v3 Wyzecams at night. I was hoping there would be a direct head to head comparison between something like a 1/1.8" Dahua/Hikvision POE camera and one of these wyzecam v3.

I wish Wyzecam makes a POE version. I really like the small size of these. Doesn't scream "CAMERA!"
Hi @camviewer43

I would like to see more comparisons also.

Do you have a wzyecam v3?
Do you have a decent PoE camera? ( a older 2MP starlight would be a good start even )

If so, do feel free to contribute any comparisons you are able to share with us.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any cheap camera can do a still shot with color at night. Find one with some motion. Bet the motion is all blurred and, even if it's not, there won't be anything close to enough detail to positively identify anyone unless they're within six feet of the camera.
That's why I'd like to see some head-to-head comparison rather than just assume or stick by some dogma about camera image quality. I'm open to new entrance in the market place to shake things up.

Yep, almost any camera can be made to give a nice still image. That Wyze camera is probably gain full on and a 1/3 shutter speed to allow in a lot of light. What happens when there is motion at night. You cannot compare a $30 camera to a 1/1.8" sensor camera. That's like comparing a Ford Pinto to a Ferrari. The performance between the two will be very different.

Take a look at this great post showing a good camera versus a Ring - I suspect the Wyze performance would be even worse.

That's actually a really good post. If you compare the Wyze v3 images, they're way better than the Ring, and much closer to the Dahua. That's why I'd like some critical comparisons. It's not that I don't know poor quality cameras exist. I believe they do. I want to see how the v3 stacks up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well keep in mind that Ring camera probably showed decent still image, but once motion was introduced, the bitrate and pixilation went to crap - @samplenhold - can you get a still image from your neighbors Ring camera if they still have it?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @camviewer43

I would like to see more comparisons also.

Do you have a wzyecam v3?
Do you have a decent PoE camera? ( a older 2MP starlight would be a good start even )

If so, do feel free to contribute any comparisons you are able to share with us.
I don't have a Wyze v3, only a v2. I do have a Dahua IPC-T5442 (1/1.8") 4MP as well as a Dahua DH-SD1A404XB-GNR (1/2.8") 4MP. From the sample images that other people post, I think the image clarity/noise of the Wyzecam V3 very much resembles the 1/2.8" Dahua. Similar amounts of motion blur. But a head-to-head would be much better. I know some nights with the moon out my IPC-T5442 looks amazing, but with an overcast sky and all lights out, it's pretty dark.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not dogma at all, it's simple physics. Try one and let us all know how well it works. If you've got motion blur on a 1/2.8 Dahua with IR on you don't have it set up correctly. If you have motion blur with a Dahua 1/2.8 in color at night you don't have it set up correctly or do not have enough ambient light. You're comparing a Yugo to a Lamborghini.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
We (IPVM) tested Wyze v3 vs v2 and an Axis and Hikvision cameras - results here (unlocked).
Good read. Thanks! It is a pretty unbelievable improvement they've made without raising the price tag.

I wonder, when you do the WDR tests, how long do you have to give the Axis/Hik cameras to adjust after opening the door? I mean, if someone opens the door and walks in without standing outside for 5+ seconds, are those cameras going to do any better than the Wyze?

Anyway, the target audience for Wyze cameras thinks that "WiFi-only" belongs in the "Pros" column in a product review, and doesn't know or care at all about features like "WDR" unless Mr. YouTube reviewer shows them why it is lacking. And if Mr. YouTube reviewer does that, he loses his sponsorship. Am I right?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Add POE and RTSP and I'm a buyer @ $35 for a few just to put around wherever.

Reaction score
Well keep in mind that Ring camera probably showed decent still image, but once motion was introduced, the bitrate and pixilation went to crap - @samplenhold - can you get a still image from your neighbors Ring camera if they still have it?
Check post #15 in the thread below for the video from the Ring cam. I have no access to his cam.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good read. Thanks! It is a pretty unbelievable improvement they've made without raising the price tag.

I wonder, when you do the WDR tests, how long do you have to give the Axis/Hik cameras to adjust after opening the door? I mean, if someone opens the door and walks in without standing outside for 5+ seconds, are those cameras going to do any better than the Wyze?

Anyway, the target audience for Wyze cameras thinks that "WiFi-only" belongs in the "Pros" column in a product review, and doesn't know or care at all about features like "WDR" unless Mr. YouTube reviewer shows them why it is lacking. And if Mr. YouTube reviewer does that, he loses his sponsorship. Am I right?
We (IPVM) tested Wyze v3 vs v2 and an Axis and Hikvision cameras - results here (unlocked).
That's a great detailed comparison, super useful. Yes, POE would be much preferred to wifi, but it's amazing what Wyze has done with a $20 camera. It's worth watching what they do. I think the POE camera market is pretty stagnant with both pricing and technology and pretty limited competition. It's instructive for ip cam enthusiasts to look at what the consumer market is doing, and maybe demand more from their POE cameras.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
imo, with this new weatherproof v3 version, Wyze could take the ball out the park (the opposite with the outdoor battery model). Besides the pricing and performance, it’s a great opportunity for many, to start experiencing with home automation products (smart switches, motion and contact closure, etc.), allowing to interact (rules) between each others (even with voice assistance devices). I am a little reluctance to depend entirely on WiFi products for my security. I have several Wyze ecosystems products, enabling motion sensors (cam/sense/contacts) to turn on several lights (smartplugs/bulbs) around my house. Mostly 95% of the time everything works fine, reason why I will not compromise my security entirely within WiFi devices. If someone ask me for recommendations, an alarm will be my first priority. If need to add lighting, will consider proprietary communication protocols, like Lutron

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know these first generation cameras had terrible issues like not being able to be turned off and record everything..is this still the case?