The Blue Iris service failed to start (5)

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,
My main HD is full so I installed a secondary HD (WD purple 8TB) and went to BI setting to point the New and Stored folder sto the same name folders on the new HD.
I then copy the clips from the old C:\BlueIris folders to the new folders on the new drive.

After a while Blue Iris will stop working and result in the above error message when I tried to start it.
When I tried to download the latest update and install it, the error will change to The Blue Iris service failed to start (5)

BI is latest version 5.2.9.12
windows 10 pro
I went to Windows Services and manually restart the service but it never start.
Please help.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have an Admin password defined to run the BI service. error 5 is a security problem. Look at the event viewer

========================

I would recommend using BI 5.2.6.5
==========================

Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
2) windows task manager performance, GPU
3) Blue Iris Setting about tab
4) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab
5) blue Iris status cameras tab

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have an Admin password defined to run the BI service. error 5 is a security problem. Look at the event viewer

========================

I would recommend using BI 5.2.6.5
==========================
Thank you for helping out.
Where do I download 5.2.6.5?
All available on the site is 5.2.9.12.

I looked at the Event viewer on Wins it has something with faulting application error pointing to blueiris.exe (version 5.2.6.5) happening exactly when the errors happened.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What did you previously have New/Stored set to and what have you moved to where. I’d try recreating the folder structure you had before moving folders around in the hope that BI will start and then move things around.

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is the error in the event viewer

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 6/9/2020 3:57:08 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Optiplex
Description:
Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.2.6.5, time stamp: 0x5ea8376b
Faulting module name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.2.6.5, time stamp: 0x5ea8376b
Exception code: 0xc0000094
Fault offset: 0x0000000000f30a96
Faulting process id: 0x49c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d63ea0894df032
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe
Report Id: 66c53eb9-6e45-4c8e-ab14-558c3f11603d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-06-09T20:57:08.495261900Z" />
<EventRecordID>17656</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Optiplex</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>BlueIris.exe</Data>
<Data>5.2.6.5</Data>
<Data>5ea8376b</Data>
<Data>BlueIris.exe</Data>
<Data>5.2.6.5</Data>
<Data>5ea8376b</Data>
<Data>c0000094</Data>
<Data>0000000000f30a96</Data>
<Data>49c</Data>
<Data>01d63ea0894df032</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe</Data>
<Data>66c53eb9-6e45-4c8e-ab14-558c3f11603d</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What did you previously have New/Stored set to and what have you moved to where. I’d try recreating the folder structure you had before moving folders around in the hope that BI will start and then move things around.
I had them stores to C:\BlueIris\New, C:\BlueIris\Stored, C:\BlueIris\Alerts
After install the new HD, I changed the New and Stored location to D:\BlueIris\New and D:\BlueIris\Stored
I tried to copy a few files back to C:\BlueIris\New and tried to restore it but no go.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As mentioned before error 5 is an Access Denied (security/privilege) error.

When the new directory structure was created for BI, I presume the user-id which installed BI "owner" was also the user-id used to create the new directory structure.

If you have normal (non-admin) accounts on the system, there is a chance that file-ownership (ability to create and delete) causing an error 5 when BI attempts to perform file maintenance between drives/directories.

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As mentioned before error 5 is an Access Denied (security/privilege) error.

When the new directory structure was created for BI, I presume the user-id which installed BI "owner" was also the user-id used to create the new directory structure.

If you have normal (non-admin) accounts on the system, there is a chance that file-ownership (ability to create and delete) causing an error 5 when BI attempts to perform file maintenance between drives/directories.
That could be the issue. Any idea how I can fix the permission issue.
Here is another error poping up that may shed light on the issue

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user OPTIPLEX\Blueiris SID (S-1-5-21-3854702038-2786036890-2472982268-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
the log entry you posted is "common" and not related to BI.

you need to look at the permissions of the directories/files... do a web search on it. there are lots of existing articles you can find rather than doing again here.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it is 100% a security problem, make sure that all folders have the same owner and the the user that runs the service is the same or higher privileged owner.

You can down load 5.2.6.1, I did that it it took me to 5.2.6.5, I did it a few weeks ago. It is my understanding that The missing versions were cause in a change to the what the download distribution occurs.

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is a file permission on what I have on the old drive C and the new one D. Looks like something is missing or out of place

Untitled.png

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
it is 100% a security problem, make sure that all folders have the same owner and the the user that runs the service is the same or higher privileged owner.

You can down load 5.2.6.1, I did that it it took me to 5.2.6.5, I did it a few weeks ago. It is my understanding that The missing versions were cause in a change to the what the download distribution occurs.
is there a copy of 5.2.6.1 somewhere I can download

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK. Here is an update.
I removed the new drive and restart the computer and restarted BI and it works again.
Then I go to the setting and set them back to point to C:\ folders.

I need to set up the new drive the right way so it won't happen again.
Any idea where to start? When I plug the new drive in, it does not have a way to set up permission or anything.
Thank you

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to check the perms on the actual folders that BI uses, not the top levels of the drives. Also make sure that the BI service is set to use the same user account that you logon to the PC with.

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@SouthernYankee
Appreciate your time and help in the matter.
I'm looking over your suggestion regarding the storage and want some clarification
I have a C drive as a SSD drive 250GB
D drive is a WD purple 8TB 7200rpm that will be the main storage.

I see that BI suggest to keep db and new in the local/fast drive. Does it mean I should use the C drive since it's SSD? I read that SSD drive is not ideal for constant writing like the WD drive.

How would I set up to keep all the video on D drive as there is nothing on that drive and I want to keep as little footage on C drive as possible.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Don’t move clips around on the same drive as there’s no point.

Use either New or Stored and point it to the D drive, set it up to fill the entire drive except maybe 10%, disable any age related options and just let BI manage the space..