The ideal position for that front door camera

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve eliminated the option of a doorbell camera and am opting for a dedicated front door camera. It will be either a 2MP or 5MP dahua mini wedge in 2.8mm and will be placed at 5-6’ height for the good facial shot. The only thing I must now decide is what side of the door to place it. It will be mounted on a side wall as far back as I can get it I think the FOV is close enough to 100 degrees. Is the best place on the door handle side? I’ll attach a photo of potential door handle side view. Just out of shot are brick walls/ brick pier. I am aware also of not trying to do too much with the camera. After all it is for the front door. Pics 2 and 3 show view from opposite the door handle side which also gives view of part of driveway and roller doors. 322165A8-7803-4F19-BD1C-070D2BF6D1BB.jpeg[D3607B28-F664-4F36-86FC-F54D1AE9BE51.jpeg9CE8BFC4-9678-4CA3-B44B-E7DE0B0E5198.jpegWhat do you think?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Logically the cam on the door handle side would make sense as they’ll be facing that way if talking when the door is open or even trying the handle.

Your pics don’t state which is the view from the door handle side, if it’s the one with the pillar then that might cause problems in the evenings if running in IR mode.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. The pic with the tree in the centre of shot that is shadowed is the door handle side view. The other two are the other side with greater view. Sorry I tried to put them in order but they seemed to go all over the place, well at least on my phone screen view.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Despite being a “mini” product, you may feel it’s far too big for the front door, but I’m still pleased with mine and use it to check for parcels left on the doorstep. Even though it’s 4MP, the low light optical sensitivity in colour is simply brilliant.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Calling @samplenhold