The newer firmware

mycamrocks

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

<Long Post>

I have read a number of threads and wow they useful. This is all relating to disassembling the firmware and recompiling it to upload to the camera.

What I am trying to achieve is to get SSH onto my cameras. I have read all the SSH posts and it seems like in the new firmware of the cameras they either removed or disabled in such a way that you cannot enable it with the methods we know and that have been documented here and on other CAM forums.

What camera and firmware and I talking about:
  1. Camera: DS-2CD2T45FWD
  2. Firmware: V5.5.80 build 180911
I have heard of instances where this firmware does not allow the XML file to post the setting, I have also pulled the "list of features" from the ISAPI API and it confirms there is no telnet or ssh as available services.

I have also tried the "ClientTool" that you can get to view the settings on the camera. A lot of the settings don't work and I suspect this is due to the newer firmware. The password reset mechanism / backdoor doesn't work either, neither does the py script of the original founder of the backdoor that logged the CVE for it, apparently it was patched 5.5.x upwards.

I disassembled the .dav file to look at what is in that file, I don't see any mention on the simple disassembled file and maybe I haven't looked deep enough into the other files?

The question

Has anyone successfully disassembled the firmware and added a SSH daemon on the cameras then reassembled it and flashed the camera?
Reason I am asking is that this is the only way I can see enabling SSH on these newer cameras with the newer firmware.

I don't see unless all the posts I read were the wrong ones a way to do this so I thought let me ask the forum which are much smarted than me.

mycamrocks

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the link to newer firmware. I am not sure what that means have they reenabled SSH in the newer firmware you have linked to?

mycamrocks

n3wb
Reaction score
OK thank you I see 5.6.x has a enable ssh option. Thank you, the username and password I assume is the admin user and pass you use to logon to the web interface or is this a specific user you create in the user management - OR is this a specific user and pass?

mycamrocks

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update been playing around with SSH interface. Interesting they have enabled it but limited it to funtions that they allow. Example one can not for example run "cat" or pipe to a text file. Having said that of course then they would of not implemented basic Linux commands i.e. cd, or browsing the file system.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting they have enabled it but limited it to funtions that they allow.
That's what Hikvision call 'psh' - 'protected shell'.
Singularly useless if you want to use any common Linux commands.
Hard (or impossible without a private key as far as I know) to get through - easy enough to get round.

mycamrocks

n3wb
Reaction score
Thought as much some sort of protected shell that they exposed to keep people happy that there is some sort of SSH interface.

Interesting though that you say there are ways around the private key. Even on the DS-2CD2T45FWD with the latest firmware of: V5.6.2 build 190701 ?