The official "WTF" thread

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In 30 years I've replaced countless dead or weak #2032 lithium coin cells on motherboards, most between 5 and 8 years of age. My point is it's not rocket science to get one out of a blister-pak, even for a 74 year old with no feeling in his fingertips but plenty of arthritic pain in his joints....until this morning.

I was getting one out of a twin-pack this morning for a repaired Dell laptop and I pulled and I cut and I cut and I got my fingernails in there and it was like pulling teeth for a good 5 minutes, not 10 seconds as usual.

I was being careful with my knife because I'm on a blood thinner (Warfarin Sodium / Coumadin).

After a lot a grunting and mumbling under my breath (wife in the next room) I caught sight of the reason...instead of the single layer of clear plastic glued to the card, there was an inside layer on the UNDERSIDE of the cell and it was bonded to the top/outside! And because it's crystal clear (and I wasn't expecting it) I just could not get the #$%& coin cell separated from the outer skin until I saw why.

Earlier in the year I had opened an identical 2 pack that I had recently purchased and it was not like this one...so, be advised this is a new deal, likely to discourage theft of 1 cell off the display...or a plot to get old farts to accidentally cut themselves and bleed to death.

I peeled it back so it's visible to you in the image below...that's on the underside, opposite where we see the "2032" marking. :facepalm:

View attachment 176239
Yeah I feel your pain, I ran across a package like that a couple of weeks back. It was a Sony SD card, I like to never got that sucker out of the package. :banghead:

Reaction score
After a lot a grunting and mumbling under my breath (wife in the next room) I caught sight of the reason...instead of the single layer of clear plastic glued to the card, there was an inside layer on the UNDERSIDE of the cell and it was bonded to the top/outside! And because it's crystal clear (and I wasn't expecting it) I just could not get the #$%& coin cell separated from the outer skin until I saw why.
It is a safety feature in an attempt to stop poisoning of children who swallow it. See the graphic on the package which shows it is 'child safe'.

1698435419379.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a safety feature in an attempt to stop poisoning of children who swallow it. See the graphic on the package which shows it is 'child safe'.

View attachment 176250
Good catch! Since we don't have any small children or even young grandkids around I must admit we're not much on the lookout for such. :cool:

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In 30 years I've replaced countless dead or weak #2032 lithium coin cells on motherboards, most between 5 and 8 years of age. My point is it's not rocket science to get one out of a blister-pak, even for a 74 year old with no feeling in his fingertips but plenty of arthritic pain in his joints....until this morning.

I was getting one out of a twin-pack this morning for a repaired Dell laptop and I pulled and I cut and I cut and I got my fingernails in there and it was like pulling teeth for a good 5 minutes, not 10 seconds as usual.

I was being careful with my knife because I'm on a blood thinner (Warfarin Sodium / Coumadin).

Earlier in the year I had opened an identical 2 pack that I had recently purchased and it was not like this one...so, be advised this is a new deal, likely to discourage theft of 1 cell off the display...or a plot to get old farts to accidentally cut themselves and bleed to death.

I peeled it back so it's visible to you in the image below...that's on the underside, opposite where we see the "2032" marking. :facepalm:

View attachment 176239
I've started using scissors to open blister pack packaging, much safer than a knife or razor blade.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I usually do too but these old eyes could not see where to cut with the scissors because all of the plastic being clear as glass PLUS it was heat-welded to the cover...what a PITA!
I feel your pain. My eyes aren't what they used to be either. I was diagnosed with macular degeneration and have to get monthly injections in my right eye to keep it from getting worse.

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I usually do too but these old eyes could not see where to cut with the scissors because all of the plastic being clear as glass PLUS it was heat-welded to the cover...what a PITA!
i probably have 50 pairs of readers around the house and shop
the joke at the engine shop is we are going ot open an engine for freshenup and there will be a pair of my "old dudes" laying in the oil pan