The official "WTF" thread

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was in the back fenced area for our 5 dogs doing my daily duty, picking up doggy doo. They're 2 Chi's, 2 Chi-mix and a Yorkie and are well fed. Anyway, I heard something squealing and falling down through the trees then land with a thump and said to myself "WTF" (hence, the post here). I investigated and lo and behold, a rat snake had grabbed a baby squirrel and was in the process of constricting it until it died and then began swallowing it. About the time I decided to make another shorter video with a different angle he/she decided he had enough of the meal in his mouth to not lose it OR didn't like my videography and took off into the woods, the squirrel's 2 back feet and tail sticking out. Be sure to select 1080p HD resolution.

I'll take rat snakes to squirrels any day. :cool:

Wow with that triangle head, sure looks like a copperhead, but they are not tree climbers, that I am aware of.
Rat snake was one of the first snakes I ran across on our new property last year, did see a black racer the other day. man they are fast...so far no copperheads, rattlers or moccasins, but I know they are out there...

This guy greeted me by our porch when I got home from work one day....this little fella was just sun bathing :)
Google Lens tells me it is a hog-nose...when I was a kid, a friend had one, we use to play with them, they would strike at us, no harm though...
1723343208691.png1723343610377.png1723343678206.png
1723373095805.png

Sorry @rolibr24 just sharing

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’d take squirrels all day long.
Not me.

I live in a national forest area and there are zillions of the thermoplastic-loving tree rats.
They chew on my extension cords and garden hoses in the tractor shed.
They chew on plastic parts of the tractor: lever and handle tips, welt between fenders.
They chewed their way into the attic through a gable vent last fall.
They dig golfball-sized holes in the yard and bury and dig up nuts and acorns.

Snakes do none of the above to my property. I'm not an expert but I know enough about snakes to know what their purpose is, how to identify them, appreciate them and not be intimidated or afraid of them. :cool: