The Raspberry PI thread - What do you do with yours?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I finally picked up my first Raspberry PI a month or so ago to run AlarmServer and had fun building and configuring it. I also picked up another and built a retro gaming system which was fun, too.

I'm wondering, who here uses Raspberry PI's and for what? I'm looking for another reason to get one and figured I would ask all of you.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to play with the raspberry pi camera modules, but they really aren't very good compared to a proper IP camera.

Now, I run one pi to show several camera live streams 24/7 using this program I wrote: bp2008/OmxPlayerAuto

And I have a couple others running bp2008/HotkeyAutomation so I can use cheap little wireless numpads as remote controls for my home automation devices (lights, curtain, TVs, etc). DIY wireless home automation control panel

stratfordwill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just added the POE hat to my 3b+ that I use as a Pihole.

I tried using it as a viewer for UI3, but it would eventually lock up and kill my pihole. I think it ran just a little too hot.

I may have to give your omxplayer a look.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I just added the POE hat to my 3b+ that I use as a Pihole.
Pi-hole is great. Saves setting up blocking on every device. I even run my mobile back through my network to block stuff with it while I'm out.

Rollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I run Domoticz home automation software on a Pi. Got it controlling all sorts of smart and not so smart devices - z-wave, Philips Hue, Ring, LightwaveRF, and generic 433Mhz.

On the IPcam side of things the Pi controls a z-wave motion sensor to trigger Blueiris.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Added a hifi board and run volumio through decent bookshelf speakers is current, have also run a website, openvpn server, retro game console, digital signage, unifi cloud controller and shed loads more, fun little items

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have one for OpenVPN and UniFi controller, several running Falcon Player (FPP) for my Christmas and Halloween light shows, one running Octoprint for my 3D printer. I think I’m up to 5 Pi3B+ and one Zero.

My latest is experimenting with one to monitor temp and control fans in my server rack/cabinets. Basically an excuse to dabble into automation and learning python as I couldn’t find an open source option I liked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pi-hole is great. Saves setting up blocking on every device. I even run my mobile back through my network to block stuff with it while I'm out.
Same here. +1 for Pi-Hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Was thinking about tinkering with Raspberry Pi, maybe to setup some networked temperature sensors, gas sensors other random ideas. Not sure I have the time for it, but definitely want to monitor temperature and flammable gas at a remote location. Not sure where to start, so many kits and options.

Roger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have three that are actually serving some function. Others just collecting dust.
1: one is running a Sprinklerpi irrigation controller
2: one is running Softether VPN server.
3: one is running a temperature monitoring system with 8 Dallas One wire sensors monitoring my ground source heat pump, and also running the HABridge package to link my Alexa and Vera together.

keneil01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just bought one my self. My plan is to bridge my closed alarm setup towards Blueiris to change profile when sett to “armed”. I don’t know coding, so the learning curve is quite steep! Luckily I have someone at work that are willing to help me.

taz420nj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two 3B+ that I bought a couple months back.. One is a Pi-hole (been running Pi-hole basically since it came out on a VM, just recently got around to actually putting it on a real Pi lol!) and the other is one that I just play around with. Right now it is loaded with RetroPie, and OMG I love it lol! But if I read about something I'll throw a new SD card into it and do some messing. The next thing on my list is OpenHAB, and if it works for me I'll end up buying one to dedicate to that.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I wonder why there isn't an online DNS server that simply offers Pi-Hole type service? Why do we all need to do this?

taz420nj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I wonder why there isn't an online DNS server that simply offers Pi-Hole type service? Why do we all need to do this?
Theres a few out there, but having your own allows you far greater flexibility as far as the lists you use, blacklists, white lists if a particular filter breaks a site, etc. For example theres a filter on Easylist that breaks video streaming on Certain apps like A&E and Food Network. Using the Pi's log, it was easy to find the offending filter and whitelist it. With an external DNS you wouldn't have that ability and would have to use a different DNS for the media streamers.

Last edited:

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have four Pi model 3b+.

Two of them running Kali used for auditing. Both of them use Alfa awus1900 wireless usb adapters.

The other two are used for various projects that come up randomly :)