The squirrel must die

Reaction score
BBQ'd squirrel on the snack menu
When I was a kid growing up in Boston, squirrels were everywhere. Never though much about them except when they got in the attic.

Then one spring we went to visit my uncle in Millbury. It was the first time I shot a gun, 22LR lever action. We went squirrel hunting and my cousins got quite a few. My uncle grilled them for dinner. I never looked at city squirrels quite the same way again.

Reaction score
Either way, it sounds like BBQ'd squirrel on the snack menu. I'd suggest a frosty Sam Adams Boston Lager, it goes with anything.
In my neighborhood, the squirrels raid garbage cans for food. Some of that garbage gets dropped into my yard from overhanging tree branches, which I have to clean up before my dogs can get to it. Let's just say that I have no desire whatsoever to make a meal from one of the neighborhood squirrels. There's a fox living in the alleyway behind my home, and I'll be happy to supply him with the fresh carcasses.

Reaction score
Be careful. Some places it is against the law to kill a squirrel.
Not an issue where I live. You're allowed to kill wildlife that is damaging your property, as long as you do it humanely.

My bigger concern would be horrified neighbors who would be shocked that I'm killing cute little squirrels, while simultaneously ignoring how their own cats slaughter harmless wildlife indiscriminately.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Never forget a live trap. Properly baited, they work well. I always have two of them set (different sizes). Be aware, just because they're alive when I trap them does not equate that they are alive when they exit the trap (and yes, be assured that they die a quick, so humane, death)... ;)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
T/CR22 with subsonic ammo, a 25 round mag and a can works well :)

Quite the tack driver.

View attachment 67001
Yeah but there's no backstop to a squirrel in a tree. You can't rely on the tree because it's narrow and if you miss you have a 1.5 mile projectile that could kill or injure someone and you're responsible for any damage or injury even if it's an accident. An airgun still needs a backstop but a 12ft lbs one may give more leaway in urban areas as you need less land to ensure the pellet doesn't leave the land. You can always decoy them down to low level if the plot is too small to be safe. If you're in the country, then by far the best way is a shotgun. Simply scare the squirrel or wait for it to nartually return to it's drey, then put a shell or 2 through the bottom of the drey. You'll kill the squirell, it's mate and any youngsters inside in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Never forget a live trap. Properly baited, they work well. I always have two of them set (different sizes). Be aware, just because they're alive when I trap them does not equate that they are alive when they exit the trap (and yes, be assured that they die a quick, so humane, death)... ;)
I've actually got a very nice trap, but it's designed for larger animals (e.g. raccoons, feral cats, possums, etc.). I don't have a live trap suitable for a squirrel, but it's moot as I don't intend to relocate him. This squirrel is entirely too acclimated to being around human homes. He is constantly running across our roof and would undoubtedly make a home in our HVAC crawlspace if he could find a way in.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've actually got a very nice trap, but it's designed for larger animals (e.g. raccoons, feral cats, possums, etc.). I don't have a live trap suitable for a squirrel, but it's moot as I don't intend to relocate him. This squirrel is entirely too acclimated to being around human homes. He is constantly running across our roof and would undoubtedly make a home in our HVAC crawlspace if he could find a way in.
Thus the quick and humane death (out of sight of your neighbors).

Reaction score
Thus the quick and humane death (out of sight of your neighbors).
Precisely. I don't intend to push him off my property just to have him cause problems somewhere else. Nor am I going to drive 30 miles out into the country just to find a place to release him. It's not as if we have a shortage of squirrels. :)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Always electric fencing for the humane option, although squirrels can be clever.

Reaction score
Always electric fencing for the humane option, although squirrels can be clever.
Funny you should say that, as my wife and I attempted building a barrier with an electric fence charger to keep the squirrels out of the garden a few years ago. It was a dismal failure. Not only did one squirrel still ruin the tomatoes, he once actually peed on our deck in a sign of contempt as he ran off.

We eventually gave up on the gardening and decided to live and let live. But this year my wife wanted to try again. I was inclined to find non-lethal ways to keep this squirrel away, but destroying my Ethernet cables pushed me past the point of mercy. It's actually much cheaper and easier to kill them outright than to try to outwit them.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yeah but there's no backstop to a squirrel in a tree. You can't rely on the tree because it's narrow and if you miss you have a 1.5 mile projectile that could kill or injure someone and you're responsible for any damage or injury even if it's an accident. An airgun still needs a backstop but a 12ft lbs one may give more leaway in urban areas as you need less land to ensure the pellet doesn't leave the land. You can always decoy them down to low level if the plot is too small to be safe. If you're in the country, then by far the best way is a shotgun. Simply scare the squirrel or wait for it to nartually return to it's drey, then put a shell or 2 through the bottom of the drey. You'll kill the squirell, it's mate and any youngsters inside in.
For sure gotta be safe but my backstop is the side of a mountain, no issues for me.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The only way to make a squirrel respect an electric fence would be to use a 50,000 v transformer, Instant BBQ
It's not so much the voltage, but the current available, IE total power. I had a problem, years ago, with a raccoon messing with the garbage cans. I put a piece of screen on the ground, a couple of 2x4s for the garbage can to sit on and the garbage can (metal garbage cans back then). I wired an 800v@.5 amp plate transformer to it. My intention was to scare him away. Unfortunately he ended up joining his ancestors. I suspect the same would happen to anything smaller than an adult raccoon at that power level, 400 watts.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not so much the voltage, but the current available. I had a problem, years ago, with a raccoon messing with the garbage cans. I put a piece of screen on the ground, a couple of 2x4s for the garbage can to sit on and the garbage can (metal garbage cans back then). I wired an 800v@.5 amp plate transformer to it. My intention was to scare hime away. Unfortunately he ended up joining his ancestors. I suspect the same would happen to anything smaller than an adult raccoon at that power level, 400 watts.
Sounds like that came off of a tube type amplifier.
I was thinking a neon sign transformer, would have to be the old ones without the built in GFI.
I have a tube power supply at 3600 and 1.5 amp. Pushed a 3CX1500 to 2,000 watts. That might do it!