The squirrel must die

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score
Waste not, want not ...

Disposing of dead squirrels is very straightforward when you have lots of possums living in your neighborhood. This particular fellow visited in the early hours of the morning to haul away the corpse of Squirrel #1 that my wife tossed into the alleyway. Dead animals don't hang around long in our area.

If you look carefully, you can see the possum's head as he snatches his prize and hauls it away.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good luck with the furry tailed rats. Our problem here is woodpeckers on the house. No, there aren't bugs under the cedar siding. They make nice round holes through the siding and live in the walls. When they abandon one hole other birds move in. We don't have wood sheathing under the siding. It's 2" thick foamboard that they find pretty easy to go through. In a typical year we will have 10-12 holes to repair.
This solution works but since they are pretty small and usually fly off into the trees as soon as they see me. It's a tough shot at 25 yds but I've gotten my share. If I wasn't sure our neighbors would freak out I'd get a small shotgun with birdshot. The problem is there are often (illegal) hunters in the woods and the police are usually called when the lead starts flying.

1595940222238.png

Reaction score
Squirrel update: the bushy-tailed rats seem to have retreated for now, after suffering more casualties. We spotted one squirrel bringing bits of branches and leaves onto our house, and soon discovered that she was trying to build a nest in one of our gutters, and using the downspout either as a hideaway or for access. We cleaned that out and blocked the downspout, yet the mother squirrel wound up giving birth to three pups in the gutter, which soon perished. Since disposing of the bodies, we've seen no further trace of her.

As for my wife: her air rifle arrived last night. She was busy this morning doing some target shooting and zeroing the sights. We will be setting up the squirrel pole this weekend, too.

Reaction score
About 25 years ago I had taken my daughter to the park after school so she could play with other kids at the playground. I sat on a bench under a tree. There were 2-3 squirrels in that tree. One of them took a leak and it went all over my shoulder and back. The little bastard. Don't think they did not plan that. They knew just what they were doing.

enduser99

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two kania 2000 traps that I use to control those varmints. The traps dispatch the squirrels humanely and without any blood.
The traps are highly effective. I've had mine for 7 years now. Removed in body bags over 57 squirrels, 3 possums, and 1 racoon.
The only thing I found that works. I bait the squirrels using peanuts with in the shell. I will place a few peanuts outside the trap
to get them to try it then the rest in the trap. Be selective with your bait to keep from trapping non-target animals such as cats or dogs.

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, I'm in the squirrel hunt game now too. Neighbors are worried about a sick looking squirrel so I've been enlisted to end it's suffering.
IMG_5053.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is that mange on that squirrel? It looks like a prop from a zombie horror flick.
No idea! They think there are two like this running around. I picked up a live trap today and rigged it up with a Wemos D1 Mini to notify me through home assistant when it triggers. That way I can check it right away in case I get the neighbors cat. Even though its a live trap, that squirrel won't be alive when he leaves it!
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Attachments

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No idea! They think there are two like this running around. I picked up a live trap today and rigged it up with a Wemos D1 Mini to notify me through home assistant when it triggers. That way I can check it right away in case I get the neighbors cat. Even though its a live trap, that squirrel won't be alive when he leaves it!
View attachment 68226
View attachment 68227

Just remember when you relocate the squirrel, you will have to travel 25+ miles are it will make its way back. Yes they are that smart..

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just remember when you relocate the squirrel, you will have to travel 25+ miles are it will make its way back. Yes they are that smart..

Oh the sick looking squirrels will be relocated to the squirrel afterlife. Any healthy ones will probably just be set free, except for the fat one that steals from my “squirrel proof” feeder.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh the sick looking squirrels will be relocated to the squirrel afterlife. Any healthy ones will probably just be set free, except for the fat one that steals from my “squirrel proof” feeder.

Lol.. It sounds like you are describing the 3 stooges of the squirrels.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Caught and released two healthy looking squirrels today. They weren’t the sick looking ones so they were set free in the yard.
IMG_5116.jpg
Added a camera so should get some action shots! Just a cheap Amcrest IP3M-941W. Also using it to test if I like this spot for a PTZ as I want another SD49225XA-HNR for the back yard. This cam doesn’t have optical zoom but does work to see if viewing angles are ok in this spot. It’s on my shed on the far corner of my back yard.