The Typical picture of a Perp on Nextdoor-type Apps with Consumer Grade Cameras like Ring, Nest, Arlo, Canary, Wyze, etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hot off the Nextdoor app, a mid-morning porch pirate compliments of Ring.

And thanks to Ring (and many of these consumer grade cameras) only recording when there is motion, this is the first available frame captured....completely missed the person walking up when perhaps a face could have been captured..one of the many reasons why we promote continuous recording. No matter how good the AI or motion detection is, there are always situations that it could be missed.

1671726088020.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hot off the Nextdoor app, a mid-morning porch pirate compliments of Ring.

And thanks to Ring (and many of these consumer grade cameras) only recording when there is motion, this is the first available frame captured....completely missed the person walking up when perhaps a face could have been captured..one of the many reasons why we promote continuous recording. No matter how good the AI or motion detection is, there are always situations that it could be missed.

View attachment 148890
too be expected from USC fans ..

1671732685186.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Compliments of @jd415, here was some Ring footage from the Ring Neighbors app of some guy shooting into a house at close range.

Here is when the perp first enters their property past the public sidewalk. Immediately we can tell the camera is mounted too high to get IDENTIFY.

1672461215014.png

Now we see the momentary exposure issue that occurs when someone has a motion activated light. Had the camera been mounting at the appropriate height and distance, it probably would have washed out the face momentarily.

1672461338945.png

And because the camera is too high, all it ever got was hoodie.

1672461486917.png

This is a perfect example of why it is mentioned often to not place cameras too high and to have multiple cameras. A doorbell camera and cameras on either side of the garage at 6-7 feet high would have probably captured the face.

This is always a good read that @samplenhold put together:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are a couple form recent Nextdoor postings in my area.

View attachment 149546

View attachment 149545
It would be a fun game to play "Guess the Clothing Colors." It's crazy how clothes of the same color can look completely different. I wear a lot of blacks and they can all look different. Some of my daughter's stuffed animals can take on weird shades when in B/W and IR.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It would be a fun game to play "Guess the Clothing Colors." It's crazy how clothes of the same color can look completely different. I wear a lot of blacks and they can all look different. Some of my daughter's stuffed animals can take on weird shades when in B/W and IR.
This is one of the main reasons why I say it is always good to run a camera in color, even if the shutter needs to be slowed down - simply recognize the camera isn't for IDENTIFY but to get color to help fill in what B/W with infrared is missing.

This perp was good so I didn't get a super clean image, but good enough for the police to know who it was and ID him.

1672501900035.png

Meanwhile, this was the best image any of my neighbors could get of the same guy:

1672501968040.png

This shows the importance of having at least one camera in color even if it produces a blurry image.

Based on the description from the B/W, they probably would have let this person in the color image go as the pants are black and the top is all black too. It must have some black material on it that made it really reflective with IR.

Most would not say this is the same person. Plus the B/W image doesn't even give any detail to the face.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
This is one of the main reasons why I say it is always good to run a camera in color, even if the shutter needs to be slowed down - simply recognize the camera isn't for IDENTIFY but to get color to help fill in what B/W with infrared is missing.

This perp was good so I didn't get a super clean image, but good enough for the police to know who it was and ID him.

View attachment 149548

Meanwhile, this was the best image any of my neighbors could get of the same guy:

View attachment 149549

This shows the importance of having at least one camera in color even if it produces a blurry image.

Based on the description from the B/W, they probably would have let this person in the color image go as the pants are black and the top is all black too. It must have some black material on it that made it really reflective with IR.

Most would not say this is the same person. Plus the B/W image doesn't even give any detail to the face.
When I watched the video for the house shooting screenshots I had not expected his hoodie to be black when it changed from B/W to color. It makes sense he would have been wearing black, but I expected some other color for the hoodie based on his pants being black.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe stats show a hugely increased chance of identification if the picture is colour vs B&W, even if the picture qualities are equal. The simple fact seems to be that the human brain is used to seeing in colour so recognises objects in colour much better than it does B&W. Moral of the story apart from using a good quality camera mounted low down is run Colour if the lighting conditions permit it. (Obviously don't if high gain and slow shutter are required resulting in ghosts or blur).

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
How do you search Nextdoor, efficiently? i searched by groups and tried "camera captures", Crime", safety, etc...
But all I found was a deer in a back yard on a "ring Floodlight" and a Fox in somebodies front yard with a Squirrel or a bunny.
Serious stuff.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score
It would be a fun game to play "Guess the Clothing Colors." It's crazy how clothes of the same color can look completely different.
Yes it is crazy. Here is a perp caught on one of my Dahua cams. He is wearing black. Compare that to my neighbor across the street cap from his Ring cam. It sure looks to me like the perp is wearing purple.

4-15-2020 4-13-02am.jpg

Now for the Ring cap. Note that you can see my JGC across the street where he was hiding and then ran across the street.

1587333610289.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wifi Blink to the rescue protecting a music shop. Perp came in and stole $11k worth of guitars.

1672532577907.png

Wow check out how much of the wall is getting IR bounce and messing up the whole exposure. But even then, the wifi couldn't keep up and the perp is a blur

1672532353002.png

1672532477161.png