theft not recorded, how should I tweak my camera?

digity

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Someone stole a chair from the front yard one night and to my surprise the camera didn't record it. It's a Hikvision 8MP (4K) DS-2CD2185FWD-I fixed dome camera. Attached are my current settings for that camera (mainly default stuff) and snapshots of the scene at night, before the theft. I included snapshots of the very next recording (which is the daily IR switch at dawn) - it shows the chair already gone and the gate left open. How should I tweak my settings so I have a better chance of recording events like this?

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The bounce-back glare from the cam's IR at night on that left side from your house and trim is possibly why it's so dark at the gate and in toward the front porch. Can you move the cam further out to get away from that wall on left? Then you could turn it just a tad left, catch more of the gate and yard without excluding very much of the porch.

Also, tip cam down enough to also exclude that ceiling-mounted porch light at your front door. Anything you can do to allow ambient or artificial light hit the desired target and NOT the cam lens will improve the cam's night vision

Once that issue is resolved, I'd slide 'min. contrast' to the left, maybe try directly under 'min'. object size'.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Someone stole a chair from the front yard one night and to my surprise the camera didn't record it. It's a Hikvision 8MP (4K) DS-2CD2185FWD-I fixed dome camera. Attached are my current settings for that camera (mainly default stuff) and snapshots of the scene at night, before the theft. I included snapshots of the very next recording (which is the daily IR switch at dawn) - it shows the chair already gone and the gate left open. How should I tweak my settings so I have a better chance of recording events like this?
Hi @digity

Continuous recording - did you find the theft in the continuous recording?

Also, add another camera to get a picture of someone when they enter your driveway.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I like TonyR's suggestion if you can't move the camera. If it need to be in that area because of wiring, I would say move it, what looks might be a couple of feet, to the right against the front of the house so that it is not looking at the front of the house at all, so that the far right edge of its picture is looking straight down the front of the house.

Right now it looks like it is centered on that second to last pillar by the front door. Where you would be better served to have it pointed more at the gate entrance out front.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You could also try reducing the make time?

The suggestions would depend to some extent where the chair was, can’t see it in any of the pics you’ve posted?

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you want camera placement that best catches someone coming directly at the camera, when you will see their face the best. My impression when I first looked at your pictures above was that you determined the camera location with the intention of making the camera itself the least noticeable.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
That sux. I hate thieves!
In that location, i'd turn the camera eyeball sideways for a 'corridor' view. you don't need or want to see all that wall on the left (or right) so your view there is pretty narrow.
I also agree that your contrast setting is a bit high there. at night, the overall contrast range is reduced, (aside from that blindingly bright wall reflecting IR - everything else is grey)
so more sensitive contrast would help.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Doh just spotted the “chair”. I think the make time would help as the bench is to the edge of the frame so presumably somebody dashed in, made a grab and disappeared from the frame.

digity

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good point about the bounce back, contrast, light and wasted space. I think I'll move it to the right

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
i'd also agree that shorter make time would help. 1 sec is too long. try .5 or .3.

if you move the cam to the right, you wouldn't see the bench location at all behind the rail/post/wall.
try turning it 90 degrees for a taller, narrower view in that same location. you'll see less yard, but more porch...

Tro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How have you got your zones and hot-spot set up? I don't think the sensitivity settings come into play with zones and hot spots (I could be wrong)
(hot spot records on alarm no matter your settings)
Maybe have a play with object detention if car lights don't hit your lawn all night long

Or set your zones up differently once you point your camera more to the left (I use B-C this captures coming and going)

Tro