Thieves took my DVR!

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know most of you are in the USA. Do you have power distribution boxes on the external aspect of the house that can be freely accessed by anyone?

One other thought was whether I could install a large battery for the whole house to store solar power. I don't know whether this may help or not.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
It's unusual to get a DVR stolen. I think this is the 1st instance I've ever heard of on this forum.

I have a BI pc but I'm going to hide mine in a piece of ventilated furniture and to stop the top from being opened, I'm going to fit magnetic baby locks as these are completely hidden, keyless and yet resist enough to convince someone it's something that doesn't open. Obviously the furniture will be something that hides it inside well so you can't tell there's anything inside unless you start checking for cables at the back. Even then, easily mistaken for some kind of light in the unit. Another way with a pc could be to have it out in the open but fit the type of locks they use in offices to lock it to the ground / desk / wall. If the pc is also silent and has no lights, you could always stick a hand written sign on it saying broken, do not use, espeically if the case looks old. If you have another pc, they'll probably steal that and leave the broken one alone.

An option with your DVR could be to use Network Video Recording so have an external network connected hard drive hidden somewhere other than the house.

You burglary sounds highly unusual to me. I don't know whether you live in a very high end property, but the average burglar, wouldn't turn power off, bypass alarms, etc etc. Most just break a window or unlock a door, rush in, grab what they can see in a quick 10 min walk through then exit. Yours sounds very well planned from some one who may have inside knowleadge of your property or what they were stealing / hoping to steal there.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You burglary sounds highly unusual to me. I don't know whether you live in a very high end property
Definitely not high end. Very typical house. Toyota car.

It is unusual I agree.

I haven't detailed how they got in but can if people are interested. It's not relevant for this forum though.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely not high end. Very typical house. Toyota car.

It is unusual I agree.

I haven't detailed how they got in but can if people are interested. It's not relevant for this forum though.
Yes we are interested and is relevant on the forum.

While we talk about cameras, we talk about anything that exploits or takes advantages of weaknesses so we can shore them up and I am sure several have looked at this thread and have already considered making modifications to their own system.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes we are interested and is relevant on the forum.

They removed backfence panels and walked in. There were security lights but power was disconnected from the front where there were no security lights (ie quite dark). They moved all turrent cameras upwards but didn't damage them.

A surdy steel security screen door was jimmied easily from a metallic door frame. A regular hollow door was cut in themiddle to remove a large wooden bar that was blocking access from inside. The weak lock was jimmied.

Once inside the garage, they disengaged the garage door. The garage to house door had 3 dead locks. None was harmed as they just lifted the door off the hinges.

Entire house was ransacked including kitchen/bathrooms. It took almost 6 hours to clean up.

The doors had to replaced as they were damaged severely.

:)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah this is sounding very much like an inside job.

Friends or relatives or neighbors or friends of or someone that came thru the house like a phone or cable person or carpet or anything you may have had done.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But in your case, they cut your power, so you need battery backup for those as well.
At the very least, you should be having your system emailing out motion alert images or short video clips to an email.
At the very least, @Rebelx needs their home burglar alarm working on backup battery.
NZ is getting to this stage as well with crime, anywhere is a target.

One bloody expensive thing you could add to your alarm system is a security fog machine, like a 'smoke cloak' (brand).
Essentially a theatrical/event fog machines interfaced to your burglar alarm and has a backup battery. They are designed to completely fill a space with a dense white fog in a few seconds so the intruder finds it hard to see.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At the very least, @Rebelx needs their home burglar alarm working on backup battery
This is rectified now. Embarassing blunder that will forever punish me.

Thanks.

One bloody expensive thing you could add to your alarm system is a security fog machine, like a 'smoke cloak' (brand).
Essentially a theatrical/event fog machines interfaced to your burglar alarm and has a backup battery. They are designed to completely fill a space with a dense white fog in a few seconds so the intruder finds it hard to see.
This is the most unusual idea that I heard so far.

Before you know it, the house will catch on fire due to multiple LARGE batteries constantly charging everywhere..... kidding of course.

Thank you.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Other idea is for the home alarm to cause all house lights to go on and off like a strobe. :) Disco time.
Liquor, dairy's, jewellery and many other stores in NZ which have security fog machines also typically have strobe lights. Xenon strobes are best.

The purpose is to startle and make it hard to see.
So imagine you are in a room, and that room gets completely filled with a thick white fog within a few seconds. Then strobe lights flashing makes your vision just a white strobe.
Very disorienting and sickening.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A little pricey, but could make your own cheaper.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A little pricey, but could make your own cheaper.

Not something easily feasible to the level of a security fog machine. It can be something, compared to nothing.
The security fog machines are under soo much more pressure which is how they can white-out a room in a few seconds.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Jeremy Clarkson uses a fog security system for comedic effect on his show Clarkson's farm.