Thieving is a thirty job

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Different to the UK then. Over here mainly used for serious crimes, but burglary is one where it is used frequently.

One of my neighbours was recently burgled and they weren't allowed back in the house for several hours whilst the forensics team took samples from all over the house including furniture and carpets.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Different to the UK then. Over here mainly used for serious crimes, but burglary is one where it is used frequently.

One of my neighbours was recently burgled and they weren't allowed back in the house for several hours whilst the forensics team took samples from all over the house including furniture and carpets.
Wow....Definitely different than in the U.S. The forensic labs here have backlogs of DNA to be tested for rapes, murders, etc. so such attention and expense for a burglary "....just ain't gonna happen".

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
This is what they do in the UK, (recreation documentary) although forensics aren't necessarily used in every case. I guess it depends on the severity, available money and how much mess the burglars make, and thus how likely there is of some transference of evidence:

Just hope they catch the other SOB in this case. Pity in the US they can't afford to use DNA more.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
DNA forensics is VERY expensive and will likely not be pursued in the case of only B & E, burglary, etc. Now if someone was beaten, robbed at gunpoint, assaulted, kidnapped and/or killed, or one of the actors looks very much like a suspect in such a crime, that could change things.
I think a lot of that depends on the location, political pressures, and the level of frustration of authorities. I had a neighbor (in the Tampa, FL area) whose care was looted (he left the door unlocked). The kid that got in only took an iPhone charger, and some sunglasses. The neighbor would never have known they were stolen (and would simply had assumed he lost those items) had the kid not left a cigarette butt in his cupholder. The cops came, took the cigarette butt, and did a DNA test on it. 8 months later, the arrested a local Walmart stocker. He was already on probation, and his DNA was in the system. The cops justified the expensive (and time consuming) test because of the rash of similar crimes that was frustrating them (and the people).

PaulNH

n3wb
Reaction score
Sure hope the police share the photos with Probation/Parole and the county jails. I assume this isn't their first rodeo !