Think I found a good online hangout....

Ecb

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve been ‘planning’ a surveillance system for a few years. OK, maybe a few random thoughts and some reading. Maybe this forum will finally get me off the mark....

I’m not afraid to run CAT5e most anywhere in the house. I have lots of POE switch ports available. A NAS with a few TB of spare capacity. I installed and maintain a wired and monitored security system. That’s the easy parts... I’m an engineer (EE, software, networking, security, etc. ) by trade.

My biggest unknowns are where to mount cameras, what cameras to mount, and in some cases tips on running CAT cables from exterior cameras.

I can post photos and drawings as needed. But one general question: should I plan some cameras that look toward the house instead of only mounting cameras on the house? Since I already have a few CAT5e runs to our shed, I was thinking about a couple of cameras on the shed looking at the rear of the house, yard, windows, etc. Good placement idea? And how about covert cameras in yard decorations to look at other parts of the house? In some ways, it’s easier to run new CAT cables to parts of the yard instead of fishing cables through the house/garage. Thoughts? Would use ToughCable either in conduit or direct burial.

And yes, I already ’know the drill’: no cloud cameras, no Wi-Fi,etc.

Cost and WAF are always critical. But no precise budget at the moment. And my wife kinda likes the idea of a surveillance system. Thinking that seeing video from an initial camera or two might help the cause. And actually a couple of cameras on the shed would be an easy starting point. Next might be a front door ‘door station’. I’m looking at devices that could provide video and SIP access to my Asterisk PBX.

Looking forward to good dialog.

Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve been ‘planning’ a surveillance system for a few years. OK, maybe a few random thoughts and some reading. Maybe this forum will finally get me off the mark....

I’m not afraid to run CAT5e most anywhere in the house. I have lots of POE switch ports available. A NAS with a few TB of spare capacity. I installed and maintain a wired and monitored security system. That’s the easy parts... I’m an engineer (EE, software, networking, security, etc. ) by trade.

My biggest unknowns are where to mount cameras, what cameras to mount, and in some cases tips on running CAT cables from exterior cameras.

I can post photos and drawings as needed. But one general question: should I plan some cameras that look toward the house instead of only mounting cameras on the house? Since I already have a few CAT5e runs to our shed, I was thinking about a couple of cameras on the shed looking at the rear of the house, yard, windows, etc. Good placement idea? And how about covert cameras in yard decorations to look at other parts of the house? In some ways, it’s easier to run new CAT cables to parts of the yard instead of fishing cables through the house/garage. Thoughts? Would use ToughCable either in conduit or direct burial.

And yes, I already ’know the drill’: no cloud cameras, no Wi-Fi,etc.

Cost and WAF are always critical. But no precise budget at the moment. And my wife kinda likes the idea of a surveillance system. Thinking that seeing video from an initial camera or two might help the cause. And actually a couple of cameras on the shed would be an easy starting point. Next might be a front door ‘door station’. I’m looking at devices that could provide video and SIP access to my Asterisk PBX.

Looking forward to good dialog.

Thanks.
Welcome @Ecb

Good to have you join us.

Reaction score
Welcome and remember to plan and learn before purchasing cameras. Here are a few links to check out. Read the wiki and cliff notes great starting points. I read and planed for 2 months before getting a camera.
IP Cam Talk Wiki

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Just a casual observation. A camera looking at the house will give you a nice shot of the back of the bad guys head, no facial ID, unless he is leaving. If he's leaving your video system may also be disabled by then, again no face shot.