Thinking of getting a Costco Lorex system - should I?

Contadino

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, I don't want the hassle of setting a computer and want local storage without a monthly subscription fee. And I need to be able to be notified and see what is happening on my phone.
Thinking of getting the 4 camera Lorex system with 2 TB NVR. Do you guys think that is a big mistake? If you do, let me know and I'll spend some more time researching on this site. Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the goal - to be able to IDENTIFY or simply be able to observe what is going on?

The box kits typically use 2.8mm cameras and throw 4k on a sensor designed for 2MP, so the performance is underwhelming.

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his four 2.8mm fixed lens 4k cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away. Meanwhile my 2MP varifocal optically zoomed 60 feet away to the public sidewalk provided the money shot to the police to get my neighbors all their stuff back. Nobody else had video that could provide anything useful, other than what time this motion blur ghost was at their car.

Guess what his system was....you guessed it the Costco Lorex 4k system....after he saw what my cameras could do, he started replacing the cams from his Costco system, which was $1,300 box kit that supposedly had better cameras than the typical box set....

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Which kit and how much?

We probably can point you to better. Maybe can for about the same money. Even if a little more, better to spend that once than end up with something that doesn't work well for you that you end up replacing.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ask for the warranty. I understand if only one camera fails, you need to return (disassembly) the entire system. Please confirm, not necessarily the same for each region

Reaction score
Hi all, I don't want the hassle of setting a computer and want local storage without a monthly subscription fee. And I need to be able to be notified and see what is happening on my phone.
Thinking of getting the 4 camera Lorex system with 2 TB NVR. Do you guys think that is a big mistake? If you do, let me know and I'll spend some more time researching on this site. Thanks!
IMO yes, it is a mistake. I almost did the same thing until a friend pointed me to this forum and helped me out. As wittaj stated, what is your goal? Whatever you may think, do yourself a favor and read the cliff notes here (IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes). People on this forum are the 'spoken word' on cameras and how to install them. If you are here asking if getting a 4 camera Lorex system is good, then you probably already know the answer to your question.

Why not start with a good Dahua NVR, then build up from there (like I did)? Once you get the core of your system installed (network cables, switch, POE switch, etc) then it will be just a matter of which cameras to use.

Tons of options, but I suggest you buy the right pieces first and not multiple times. And plan your install correctly the first time.

Welcome to the forum, read, read, and read some more, and ask mucho questions. Folks here are SME's IMO! (Subject Matter Experts) Oh, and HAVE FUN.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You can/should build out your own system based on your specific goals. The "premade" systems only goal is to provide observation ability of your yard (ie there is someone in my yard, but I can't tell who it is and and at night many times you can't even tell what they are doing). It will not be good enough to positively "Identify" a stranger if needed (ie a police lineup). Added to that is the fact that the 4k cameras provided in these kits use a very small sensor (physical size) which when divided up into 4000 pixels produces very bad low light/no light performance. They might look great during the day, but will really suffer at night which is when you are likely to need the footage the most. PS - any camera can be made to look great at night with static objects in the frame (ie every marketing photo/video you ever see). The real test is with a moving object at night. When you add a moving subject/object to the situation (even just a person walking around), most cameras will not capture a clean image of that moving object, but rather a blurry and/or ghosting (when the subject disappears on some frames) object.

You can buy a stand alone NVR system and then add POE cameras to it. This way you can figure out which cameras are going to work best in your situation. Undoubtedly you will end up with several wide angle view cameras similar to the "premade" system, but you can supplement those with cameras with the narrower focal lengths to provide detailed enough images to actually be able to identify someone in the footage. Plus, you can get cameras with larger sensors and/or fewer pixels to ensure the low/no light performance is as good as possible.

Of course all of this is going to cost some money. I would tell you to plan on spending an average of $175-250 per camera to get something worth while. Of course you can start with just the NVR and even just one camera if your budget is low. Then you can add additional cameras over time as you can afford to do so. Having fewer, but better cameras is 1000% more effective than having a lots of cameras that provide worthless images when they are needed for the police.

The advice already given in the thread is spot on too. Read the WIKI. Understand the concept of DORI. Don't chase pixels (4k cameras are NOT better than lower pixel cameras and are often much worse). Ask for help and be willing to read, listen and learn.

Last edited:

Contadino

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to evaluate Blue Iris. Could I load the demo version onto my laptop and use an Amcrest camera? Would I need to plug the camera into a switch (don't have one) or can I plug it directly into my router?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to evaluate Blue Iris. Could I load the demo version onto my laptop and use an Amcrest camera? Would I need to plug the camera into a switch (don't have one) or can I plug it directly into my router?
You can absolutely demo it with a laptop and the Amcrest camera.

How is the camera powered now? All you need to have is access to it through your network. You add camera, type in the IP address and user and PW and hit find/inspect and you will have the camera.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What I like about Costco kits:
1) Costco has a great return policy ( or used to - do double check as so much has changed this year .. )
2) If you get a Lorex kit ( Dahua OEM ) or a kit based on Hikvision OEM - you can typically add a proper Dahua OEM camera to the Lorex kit ( if Dahua OEM ) or a Hikvision OEM camera to a Hikvision OEM kit.
3) Often has deals ..

What I do not like about the Costco kits:
1) In general smaller sensors in the cameras now, so not as good in low light conditions.
2) Often cameras are 2.8mm ( as mentioned previously ) and thus a wider FOV than I like as it reduces the ID distance.

If you do go with a Costco kit, I would recommend augmenting it with a better camera or 2.

If you can afford better, many members prefer the Blue Iris + better IP PoE camera route ..

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go the website and download it. It will work for 15 days (it will say evaluation across the video).