This a good deal for a Dell BI build?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
These have been selling for 525-580....you can buy a 256sdd for 70 dollars...this is over priced...you will need to remove the card as Q points out...blue iris uses intel HD for hardware acceleration.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's does have an extra 8GB of ram and SSD that the $525 to $580 systems don't have. Can the add-on graphics card be resold or it it essentially worthless?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's does have an extra 8GB of ram and SSD that the $525 to $580 systems don't have. Can the add-on graphics card be resold or it it essentially worthless?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-5040-Mini-Tower-i7-6700-8GB-500GB-DVDRW-HDMI-Win10-Pro-3Y-Warranty-/291815750900?hash=item43f192fcf4:g:YYQAAOSwv9FXgwca
The cheaper system is a 5040 vs 7040 but still not worth a $250 premium...dont know what the card is worth but its a hassle to sell...
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-275GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD5O/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1471451059&sr=1-2&keywords=mx300

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"blue iris uses intel HD for hardware acceleration."

Ok, but, don't I need the card for viewing/monitoring my cameras?

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No you don't. The intel HD is onboard video; you do not need a system with an add-on video card.
I'll have to check that system to verify it can support multiple monitors - it's details are pretty slim on ebay. I think I see 2 hdmi ports. I assume they're from the onboard video.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll have to check that system to verify it can support multiple monitors - it's details are pretty slim on ebay. I think I see 2 hdmi ports. I assume they're from the onboard video.
Its two display ports and one hdmi.. with onboard intel hd video it can certainly do dual monitors...likely 3...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you buy that system from that seller ask him to include two (2) Display Port to DVI adapters. He threw one (1) in for me (without me asking) because he realized that I would probably need the adapter...and I did! Now that's a good eBay seller brother!

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have run across a couple of good deals on HP Envy series i7-6700s.
I saw in another thread @fenderman recommending Dells and HPs in general, but also others talking about "business class" models.....The Envy being a consumer class then I guess....

What extra \ different with Business class \ Any concerns really on using a non-business class for the right price? Assumption of Specs \ warranties and such being equal on processor, ram, HDD\SSDs and such?

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My OptiPlex 7040MT has two (2) video ports, the form factor is pleasantly small and it I can't hear it running.