This buggs me...

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This one:

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeah me too, Unfortunately we can't do anything about it.. What Camera is that?

oldrolla

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Used to bug me too....i just installed an IR light away from the camera (under the eave) and turned off the IR on camera (located up on the chimney).
Used to get IR reflection from rain as well.
Its still a work in progress as i might swap the two around to see if that works better.

Driveway.png

ilrider78

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Used to bug me too....i just installed an IR light away from the camera (under the eave) and turned off the IR on camera (located up on the chimney).
Its still a work in progress as i might swap the two around to see if that works better.
View attachment 10510
What IR light are you using if you don't mind me asking? Also how long have you had it installed? I'me looking around for one that can withstand the weather we have in the the Chicago area.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
bug zapper nearby works well too, they seem to prefer UV to IR if given the choice... tho big moths like that will cook for a while.

but you dont want the zapper near an entry or walkway.. it needs to be out of frame and a ways out from traffic so they dont eat bugs.

Plasman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I have the same issue. My camera is mounted under a light on a lamp post. Am I seeing insects attracted to the lamp on this video at 1am? Or am I seeing something else here?

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
It's sprinkling out. You're looking at a very light rain. One of the reasons I dislike internal IR.

Plasman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, it was drizzling last night. Mystery solved. Thanks much. Do you think this is all internal IR or could it be that the visible spectrum Post Lantern above the camera may be adding to the reflections off of the rain?

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I get that also and believe this time of year it is pollen. At least that is what my car says. :)

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are bugs attracted to 940nM IR LEDs as well? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my first system and was disappointed to find that Nelly's doesn't have any IR cameras that are completely invisible

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are bugs attracted to 940nM IR LEDs as well? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my first system and was disappointed to find that Nelly's doesn't have any IR cameras that are completely invisible
No one will have 940nm ir...they are rare because they are practically useless.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Pick one that you can turn the IRs off on. Then use an external illuminator, 940nm if you like. Voila!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes it will, 940nM is junk thats why Nelly's wont touch it.. nor anyone else not looking for a gimmick.. but I suppose since this is your first system you dont know that yet, forget about invisible IR or just go outside and shoot your self in the foot and get it over with.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

View attachment 10510
That's a nice light. How visible is that red in the dark?