This Dahua DVR can't record all channels at the same time

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
has lots of read and seek errors and a strange value for the hour count...
It's already shown you something is wrong in the S.M.A.R.T data.
These are not errors - the attribute value is the time between errors, not the number of errors.
The higher the value the better.
These attributes are reported differently by different manufacturers and can be confusing.

forinsec

n3wb
Reaction score
These are not errors - the attribute value is the time between errors, not the number of errors.
The higher the value the better.
I'm a bit confused now, do you have any more information on this?

Anyway, can you explain the high hours count value on the Seagate drive?

neukyhm

n3wb
Reaction score

It seems that some brands count that time in seconds.

So this is the thing: I tried to open the RTSP video with VLC, I opened the VLC menu to see media info and it's already using h265. This means that the video encoding is happening wether or not it's recording, this suggest the problem may be indeed the harddisk.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Many SMART attributes are in a manufacturer-defined format, that makes simple interpretation of raw values problematic when queried by a general-purpose as opposed to manufacturer-specific tool.
For example, the read/seek error rate attributes are some measure of how often an error is occurring as opposed to the cumulative number of errors recorded.

It may not be hours, it may not even be seconds, it could be an encoded value not meaningful as a decimal number.

From Seagate's support guidance on the topic :
Please remember that these third-party programs do not have proprietary access to Seagate hard disk information, and therefore often provide inconsistent and inaccurate results. SeaTools is more consistent and more accurate and is the standard Seagate uses to determine hard drive failure.
That aside, though, the Seagate Black range is designed as a desktop drive and isn't an optimum choice for an NVR that's handling streaming video data.

neukyhm

n3wb
Reaction score
That aside, though, the Seagate Black range is designed as a desktop drive and isn't an optimum choice for an NVR that's handling streaming video data.
I understand but, is using a dvr optimized drive so critial that a desktop drive gives these problems? I mean, the bit rate it's writing at is not very high.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought it would be a big issue for normal use, as you say, the actual throughout needed doesn't stretch is capability.
It's more about lifetime and reliability.

neukyhm

n3wb
Reaction score
So today the problem got worse. Now the XVR can't live stream the main stream to smartpss or the ios app (the PC and XVR are connected via ethernet). I even disabled all recordings and this issue is still there. Something is wrong with this device and I will replace it probably this week. I'm very dissapointed with Dahua.