This is Mind-blowing

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow!
Granted, the Jeep pulling the trailer cut it close in front of the Dodge truck ( you can see one flash of his left turn signal so I'd say he likely had been signaling for a time) but I think the camera's depth of field make things appear closer together than they really are.

Even so, it looks like the truck had PLENTY of time to avoid hitting the trailer...either was distracted/texting/etc. or was being an ass and it back-fired on him.

I think the white truck at the side was a commissioned highway-helper type as there was a dark car in front of him, perhaps stalled, out of gas, flat, etc. Looks like he barely escaped, unknown about others.

Circa '97 when my then 17 year old daughter had a flat on I-280 in San Jose, CA she got off the traveled way, walked about 50 yards up an embankment and phoned me. I called AAA and headed that way. When I arrived about 15 minutes later a CHP trooper was there at her car, she was still up there on the embankment. I spoke with the trooper and thanked him for staying with her. He told me that he asked her to come down there to the car and she told him respectfully that "...her daddy told her to stay up there where she was."

It did my heart good to hear him tell me that....:cool:

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
successiveI agree with most of the above. I think the guy pulling the trailer was moving over as a courtesy for the vehicles on the side of the road.

It sure looks to me like the truck just didn't want to let the trailer in. In the first picture, it looks like the trailer has enough room to fit in front of the truck. The second picture is about a second later as you can see the truck has closed in the gap. The truck is also really far to the left of the lane, riding or crossing over the yellow line.

frames069.jpg
frames083.jpg

The truck is traveling fast than the trailer. In successive frames, you can see the side mirror hit the back of the trailer.

frames112.jpg
frames113.jpg

Interestingly, it isn't until about 9 seconds into the video that the truck's brake lights come on.

frames153.jpg

I didn't look for any articles to see about the people in the vehicles on the side of the road but this is the first frame I found that showed one of them, likely the service truck driver based on the attire. He shows up in front of the service truck rather than by a door as if he had just gotten out. A couple of frames before this one shows the truck still moving a touch. So if he was in the service truck, he jumped out the driver side door and ran in front of the service truck before the service truck has stopped.

frames230.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
successiveI agree with most of the above. I think the guy pulling the trailer was moving over as a courtesy for the vehicles on the side of the road.

It sure looks to me like the truck just didn't want to let the trailer in. In the first picture, it looks like the trailer has enough room to fit in front of the truck. The second picture is about a second later as you can see the truck has closed in the gap. The truck is also really far to the left of the lane, riding or crossing over the yellow line.

The truck is traveling fast than the trailer. In successive frames, you can see the side mirror hit the back of the trailer.

Interestingly, it isn't until about 9 seconds into the video that the truck's brake lights come on.

I didn't look for any articles to see about the people in the vehicles on the side of the road but this is the first frame I found that showed one of them, likely the service truck driver based on the attire. He shows up in front of the service truck rather than by a door as if he had just gotten out. A couple of frames before this one shows the truck still moving a touch. So if he was in the service truck, he jumped out the driver side door and ran in front of the service truck before the service truck has stopped.
^^^ Spot on, IMO.
Excellent frame-by-frame analysis, my man! :headbang:

Reaction score
There are actually laws about moving over if a vehicle is in the breakdown lane. Some states only provide for that if it is an emergency vehicle and some say their lights have to be flashing. Some states say even for tow trucks or other maintenance vehicles. Or you have to slow down to 20mph below the posted limit.

When we are in our class A motorhome, I always try to move over for vehicles parked there. I have also been parked there and it is quite unnerving to have someone doing 65+ whizz past you right in the next lane (3 feet from you).

One time we were on I-10 Eastbound in NM about to approach a construction zone. I had been feeling quite poor for about 30 minutes. We were not far from our stop for the night and I thought I could make it. But all of a sudden it was apparent that I was going to hurl very soon. I pulled over and told my wife to get out of the way and I got out of the coach and ran about 20 feet away from the highway. I thought I was clear with the trucks and such flying by. The first hurl was quite impressive, like The Exorcist impressive. I thought I had the wind currents figured out. But upon the next shot, a couple of semis came flying past and the winds changed. Blew right back into my face. About 30 seconds later my wife comes out of the coach with a towel soaked in water. She is great.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are actually laws about moving over if a vehicle is in the breakdown lane. Some states only provide for that if it is an emergency vehicle and some say their lights have to be flashing. Some states say even for tow trucks or other maintenance vehicles. Or you have to slow down to 20mph below the posted limit.
It's been the law here for 4 years now and it's pretty verbose ==>> Alabama Move Over Act

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and stay in the Granny lane and pass the " emergency vehicle" in the right lane. Full Stop:

And at a reduced speed....
Of course this presents another hazard when Joe Dumbass is late to realize why your slowing.
Then he tries to push over to the left and creates a chain rection slow down where about 7-8 cars back somebody wins a prize when they tag a bumper.
Last week on Hwy 13 Super Trooper was at the scene of a rear end-rush hour collision.
Traffic was slow in both lanes anyway....and getting over in a 45 foot bus at 18-12 miles an hour wasn't worth the fight.
Esp when you Got Donny Dipshit just off a 12 hour shift at the Widget Factory, and BY GOD ain't nobody gettin in front of HIM...

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I like when The motherfuckers " Move over AND Slow down :banghead:....Muther fucker!!!!!
Just Move over....keep your Speed....FFS!
I travel 169 daily and The Shakopee speed traps yeild a car just about every shift.....and your's Truly gets to deal with Sammy Somali fresh off the boat reading His drivers manual while driving ( at least thats how inattentive they seem)
and suddenly lurches over AND applies brake on a wide open left lane with light traffic! Whiskey TangoFoxtrot !!!

Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of my pet peeves!
What about someone that insists on pulling out in front of you, creeps along, you have to almost come to a stop, then after traveling all of 100 feet, they make their turn.....they couldn't wait 2 whole seconds...and this is with no one behind you! ARGHHH! :facepalm::mad:

OldBobcat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I live very near this and happened to be listening to a scanner application that day. The trailer was carrying at least one motorcycle, and for a period of time, there was a concern of a motorcyclist being injured until it was learned it was just being trailered. I think one of the pickup drivers ended up with a head injury, but for the most part any serious injuries were avoided.

TonyR is correct that the vehicle on the shoulder is the Iowa DOT Highway Helper.

This stretch of road between Cedar Rapids and North Liberty (about a mile north of the bridge over the Iowa River) has a lot of accidents, for no apparent reason except for dumb people who won't slow down. It used to be an area where a lot of deer crossed the interstate.

This accident happened in the southbound lanes. The cables between the northbound and southbound lanes are great at preventing crossover incidents, but they really tear up cars in even minor accidents.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I live very near this and happened to be listening to a scanner application that day. The trailer was carrying at least one motorcycle, and for a period of time, there was a concern of a motorcyclist being injured until it was learned it was just being trailered. I think one of the pickup drivers ended up with a head injury, but for the most part any serious injuries were avoided.

TonyR is correct that the vehicle on the shoulder is the Iowa DOT Highway Helper.

This stretch of road between Cedar Rapids and North Liberty (about a mile north of the bridge over the Iowa River) has a lot of accidents, for no apparent reason except for dumb people who won't slow down. It used to be an area where a lot of deer crossed the interstate.

This accident happened in the southbound lanes. The cables between the northbound and southbound lanes are great at preventing crossover incidents, but they really tear up cars in even minor accidents.
What about the DOT Helper. It looked like he may have been in front of his truck and took a ride on his hood. Was there anyone in the car?

OldBobcat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What about the DOT Helper. It looked like he may have been in front of his truck and took a ride on his hood. Was there anyone in the car?
Fortunately, no one was seriously injured, but I don't recall any specifics being released. Now that I think about it, I believe the head injury I mentioned earlier was in a different accident that same day, not this one.

Iowa DOT shares video of scary crash to remind drivers to move over for stopped vehicles

By KCRG Staff

Published: Sep. 14, 2023 at 7:45 AM CDT

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) - The Iowa DOT shared video of some scary moments on I-380 to remind drivers to be extra careful when moving over for a stopped vehicle.

The video shows a crash from last month.
A vehicle with a trailer was trying to move into the left lane to give room for a Highway Helper.
A truck in the adjacent lane then clipped the back of the vehicle.
The DOT said no one was seriously hurt in the crash.
It said all drivers need to be aware of their surroundings and pay attention to what’s happening on the road around them.

Copyright 2023 KCRG. All rights reserved.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
in the aftermath, It appeared as though the Orange jacket guy ( probably DOT) moved to the right away from his truck and sat or laid down,,,in the brush

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I sure was hoping Mr. Bad-Ass in the oversized pickup with the tow mirrors dangerously stuck out for no darn reason would have been driven to a hospital with two broken legs and two broken arms in multiple places in an ambulance with bad air shocks over a bumpy stretch of road. The evil side of me likes to see stupid things happen to stupid people and there sure are a lot of male drivers in oversized pickups with oversized tires and loud mufflers out there that fall into the stupid category. :poop:

Last edited: