This is my new member introduction/memoirs

legumious

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I've got 130 tabs open in my web broswer, and I'm starting to lose track of my crash course in IP cameras, plus the rest of my mind. I'm overhauling an object lesson in sunk costs and looking for help.

Long, long ago, a thrifty small business purchased a 8 camera Q-See DVR system from Costco. It was awful, and the cameras were awful and it was all wired in the same way a house might get TP'd on Halloween. After a while, it became too awful to stand, and in 2013, a professional was called. The professional built a terrific new system around a Geovision capture card (GV-800 with 16 cameras) with all the amenities you could hope for in a DVR, like Windows XP running on the single 1tb WD Blue drive that the video recorded to. He used only the best twist-on BNC connectors for the coaxial cable that could lose connection at the slightest touch of the bird's nest of wire bunched in the corner of the room.

Now, after 5 long years, that little WD Blue has died, beaten as no Blue should have to endure. The motherboard actually failed and took it out. The thrifty small business wants it fixed. I opened my incredibly stupid mouth and suggested overhauling with IP cameras and being done with it, effectively volunteering.

I've built a DVR the old GV800 card will work in, and hopefully transition into an NVR running Blue Iris and collecting data from 4 SAM4S cash registers. I've done this because I'm an adult and I can do as I like. Someone, somewhere, will be thrilled at a Google result saying it's possible to run an old PCI GV800 v 3.53 on 32-bit Windows 10 and an 8th gen Intel. Yes, my 16gb of RAM is delighted to be on a 32-bit OS for now, thanks for asking. I have some leeway in being able to repurpose things I invest in incorrectly.

This is where I get to the part where I need help. I want around 16 indoor cameras and 4 outdoor. I've just purchased 2x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from @EMPIRETECANDY 's Amazon store so I can gauge where I want to be with future fixed lens purchases. Is there an easy tool somewhere to figure out matching IP cameras to PoE switches with sufficient power budgets? Should I really have just gone with HD over coaxial cameras?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.