THIS is why I wanted an auto-tracking PTZ.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I am still in the process of setting up my SD4A425DB-HNY, but instances like the video below is why I wanted to get an auto-tracking PTZ. None of the static cams on my house would have been able to capture any ID shots. While the primary purpose of my system is to monitor and protect the perimeter of my house, being able to pick up people on the other side of the street can be helpful to me.

As I was leaving I saw this guy walking down the street, his head darting from house to house, looking shady as all hell. If he had not been looking all over I think his hood would have obstructed his face, but at the same time, if he had not been looking all over I would have thought nothing of it and it probably would have been a non-issue.

He is actually a neighbor from around the corner. I don't know what he was doing, but I am sure I have looked just like him before as I walk through the neighborhood. I will sometimes look at all of the houses to see what they have going on, look for any excessive (normal...?) camera usage, just generally be nosy, etc.

Capture from the PTZ:
Sidewalk 2023-04-01 05.37.26.725 PM.jpg

Capture from my 4K-X over the driveway:
Driveway 2023-04-01 05.37.27.420 PM.jpg

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The guy was probably looking for his dog or cat up your roof.:lol:

That's very nice auto-tacking and great capture of the guy until out of range. The only time it miss the head shot area
was when he was walking away around the 45 second mark and took the camera 2-3 second to catch up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This exactly is why a PTZ to an already reinforced fixed cam system on a house is useful and a great compliment.

In this case it was simply a neighbor, but in the future it might be a perp scoping the neighborhood or even a first time perp at night that either saw your cameras or decided to avoid the all lit up house, so he skips your house but continues to door check your neighbors.

Now you catch them doing this and probably at some point a clean capture of their face and help your neighbors out.

I wish my neighbors would offer some money when I save them money by having useful video LOL. My system has literally recovered thousands of dollars worth of stolen stuff or repairs for parked cars hit. Even 10% of the value of the damage would add up LOL.

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed that one. Was that entirely automatic or did you coax it into staying on him? You could tell that he figured out the camera was there just after putting up the mask and hoodie, and as he's walking down the street, he's contemplating what to do... proceed knowing you have his pre-mask face, or go back and play it cool. I bet he's thinking RAYSISS camera!

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I am still in the process of setting up my SD4A425DB-HNY, but instances like the video below is why I wanted to get an auto-tracking PTZ. None of the static cams on my house would have been able to capture any ID shots. While the primary purpose of my system is to monitor and protect the perimeter of my house, being able to pick up people on the other side of the street can be helpful to me.

As I was leaving I saw this guy walking down the street, his head darting from house to house, looking shady as all hell. If he had not been looking all over I think his hood would have obstructed his face, but at the same time, if he had not been looking all over I would have thought nothing of it and it probably would have been a non-issue.

He is actually a neighbor from around the corner. I don't know what he was doing, but I am sure I have looked just like him before as I walk through the neighborhood. I will sometimes look at all of the houses to see what they have going on, look for any excessive (normal...?) camera usage, just generally be nosy, etc.

Capture from the PTZ:
View attachment 158919

View attachment 158918
how well does this do with license plates at night? have u tried?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is going to do horrible as the IR bounce off the plate at that slow a shutter will be all white.

You would need to set this up as a plate reader at 1/2000 shutter and do it early before sunset so that it can see something to focus on.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not, but as wittaj said, it would need to be in that position and stay in that position well before the sun went down. With the exposure I am running it can't even make out the text on a stop sign; it just looks like a big, white octagon.

Mainsail

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It would be nice if there was an optional green laser it could put on his chest as it's following him.

Is the camera noisy? He spotted it as he got close, wondering if he saw it or heard it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No not really during daytime hours, you might get a hint of noise at night without all the white noise.

Its just kinda frickin big and looks like a face of some evil droid so as it turns following you it’s kinda hard to miss :rofl:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score

Capture from the PTZ:
View attachment 158919

View attachment 158918
I monitor the sidewalks and front entrances across both streets (corner lot).

It may not seem intuitive but it's still protecting your perimeter. I've seen people at night stopped and looking at my house from across the street. They don't realize the coverage that a short focal length can achieve.

My goal, which I'm getting to, is recognize up to 20m from my property and identify, with face captures, within 10m. I review the face captures daily and save any interesting ones on an external HD.

My concern is foot traffic as opposed to vehicular traffic. The thieves here in Cuba often scope out during the day when there's lots of foot traffic and then return at night. Not unusual to send an older person to scope out houses so everyone is a potential suspect.

leggomy

n3wb
Reaction score
I monitor the sidewalks and front entrances across both streets (corner lot).

It may not seem intuitive but it's still protecting your perimeter. I've seen people at night stopped and looking at my house from across the street. They don't realize the coverage that a short focal length can achieve.

My goal, which I'm getting to, is recognize up to 20m from my property and identify, with face captures, within 10m. I review the face captures daily and save any interesting ones on an external HD.

My concern is foot traffic as opposed to vehicular traffic. The thieves here in Cuba often scope out during the day when there's lots of foot traffic and then return at night. Not unusual to send an older person to scope out houses so everyone is a potential suspect.
Hey I have a corner lot, any tips on where to place for max coverage?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
It would be nice if there was an optional green laser it could put on his chest as it's following him.

Is the camera noisy? He spotted it as he got close, wondering if he saw it or heard it.
What would be the purpose of the green laser?

From the outside, it is not noisy. Working in my office, which is on the first floor under the camera, I can hear it moving and tracking. I am guessing this is just it resonating through the house. I do not believe he saw it and, if he did, he would not know it is tracking him because the lens is in a black dome and you don't know which way it is pointing or what it is doing.

No not really during daytime hours, you might get a hint of noise at night without all the white noise.

Its just kinda frickin big and looks like a face of some evil droid so as it turns following you it’s kinda hard to miss :rofl:
I don't think it's that big. It is definitely smaller than the other non-dome PTZs Andy sells.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey I have a corner lot, any tips on where to place for max coverage?
Really depends on any trees/bushes. I have two large trees on one side and a smaller tree on the other. Living in the Caribbean, these things grow year round and are due for a trimming.

I have three cameras on each side with a street. Then the front entrance has another three.

If I can find the time, I'll make a diagram showing how they're set up.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Capture from the PTZ:
View attachment 158919

View attachment 158918
It seems that the PTZ is mounted relatively high - roof level (which makes sense - you want to have an overview and zoom in where needed).
But still you got a clear view of his face, how is it possible (I see the optical zoom, but still)?