This thing under the lens ?

Jen

n3wb
Reaction score
That's what I thought too at first, but I tried blocking the light with my thumb and it had absolutely no effect on the display...
Nor did it activate the IR Leds.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Light sensor. On many Dahua cameras the light sensor threshold level and delay time is configurable through software. On mine you have to wait 5 or 6 seconds after blocking off the sensor, before it switches, so a sudden flash of light or shadow won't affect it. You can also force it in software settings to be in day or night mode regardless of the sensor. If the sensor is behind glass like that, you can get a "light-pipe" effect with internal reflections letting some ambient light still reach the sensor, unless you block a larger area around it than you might expect.

Jen

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I'll try things differently and block as much light as possible to see what happens.
I'll keep you informed.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Cover the cam with a box.
The light sensor is behind the front glass of the bullet, back a distance. Depending how bright it is out, light is still reaching the sensor (even with you thumb on the glass)

Or try the reverse experiment. At night, when the cam is in IR mode, shine a light at the sensor.

Jen

n3wb
Reaction score
Alright folks, I did what you suggested.
And how about we consider this 1% possibility ?

I had to agree with the idea that I didn't block the light efficiently enough, or long enough. But instead, I tried the opposite experiment by blocking only the sensor's light and it did activate the IR after a few seconds... Blocking the light from the thingy under in every most efficient way I could think of didn't lead me anywhere.

It really seems to me that the sensor itself is calibrating the shutter speed and the sensitivity depending on the light it receives...
I still didn't try to check the focus, couldn't it be a distance measurement device ?

What do you think ?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Weird, I would have bet a number of adult beverages on that being the light sensor...?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Jen,

I tried the opposite experiment by blocking only the sensor's light and it did activate the IR after a few seconds
Did you plunge the camera into total darkness? More specifically, when you blocked the light from reaching the (suspected) light sensor, did that also block light from the lens, and therefore, blocked light from reaching the camera optical sensor?

bet a number of adult beverages on that being the light sensor.
bigredfish, that's a safe bet, IMHO. I'd make the same bet....

I firmly believe that is a "daylight sensor". I have an explanation for the camera's behavior for when the light sensor is blocked, but the lens isn't blocked.

I worked in the engineering dept of a company that designed and built security cameras. The camera's decision to enter b/w mode, or to enter color mode, considers more than just the info from the daylight sensor. The decision is also based on what the optical sensor sees. In fact, I've seen the same the phenomenon that Jen described. When in a well lit room, we could completely cover the daylight sensor with a black cap. The front and sides of the sensor were completely covered. The camera stayed in color mode. Why? Because the optical sensor was seeing a good, well lit scene. Entering b/w mode requiredd two things: Daylight sensor low output signal AND the image being low-light.

To exit b/w mode was simpler. Just the daylight sensor signal was used. Why? Because the image couldn't be considered - the scene is well lit, thanks to the IR illumination. The "daylight sensor" only reacts to the visible portion of the spectrum. It doesn't reacts to IR. A simple "light sensor" would detect the IR coming from the IR LEDs, leading to a conclusion "hey, it's light out!" when it really isn't.

Our camera had "smart IR". We'd vary the intensity of the IR LEDs to get the ideal amount of illumination. If a person walked towards the camera, they'd get more and more overexposed, and the image would get washed out. Lowering the IR intensity would improve contrast. Exposure control (shutter speed) would also be varied to get the ideal exposure as well (whether in color or b&w mode).

Conclusion: During the day, simply covering the daylight sensor isn't a dependable way to make the camera enter b/w mode (night mode).

couldn't it be a distance measurement device ?
Jen, not on that inexpensive camera. Besides, the cam doesn't need to know the distance. It's a fixed focus lens. To change focus requires manually twisting the lens in its threaded lens holder. The camera can't adjust the lens, the focus, etc.

That's it. And you see why I'm willing to bet adult beverages!

Fastb

Jen

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

bigredfish, before running my tests, I'd have done the same thing !

Fastb, I'm not sure I've explained correctly what I did. There was :
- Total darkness for the sensor, meaning that it was all black on screen.
- Full light for the thingy under. That was in broad daylight.

So I did not "block the light from the suspected light sensor". On my second set of experiments at least.

That turned on the IR Leds.

On the other hand, about the fixed lens, I agree with what you said. Indeed the camera can't focus so that thingy is not a distance measurement.
When buying it I thought a "fixed lens" only meant that there is no possibility of changing the focal length (meaning the zooming). But that it might be able to focus. Actually both are fixed (and I realized it's not important at a 3.6mm focal length).

I'm thinking of making a video and posting it on Youtube, that would be a lot easier to explain and you would see exactly every way I experimented it...

eeeeees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can't see it so can't say for sure, but could it be the IR cut filter that is moved into place during daylight and moved away when the IR leds are turned on?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
You can't see the ir cut filter, it's behind the lens and in front of the image sensor.
The curiosity about the daylight sensor is slightly amusing, considering this is a user's group and not a camera design group. Cameras contain many, many man-years of engineering by EE, ME, SE, & Optical Engineers.
Didja know a different daylight sensor is used in an 940nm vs 880nm cam? (I'm referring to the OR led wavelength)
Not to tout what I know, but to illustrate there are tons of areas where one might drill down, and down, etc.

So, it,s a Daylight sensor. The others are LEAd's

Fastb

Jen

n3wb
Reaction score
It's is 100 percent a light sensor... you're wasting your time...
Yes probably, but even if it is indeed a light sensor, we haven't figured out the way it functions.

The curiosity about the daylight sensor is slightly amusing, considering this is a user's group and not a camera design group. Cameras contain many, many man-years of engineering by EE, ME, SE, & Optical Engineers.
Didja know a different daylight sensor is used in an 940nm vs 880nm cam? (I'm referring to the OR led wavelength)
Not to tout what I know, but to illustrate there are tons of areas where one might drill down, and down, etc.

So, it,s a Daylight sensor. The others are LEAd's

Like I said, I just wanna know how it works. Like "what's triggered by that button" and "what's that part". I don't feel like I'm drilling down and down. I blocked the light on a camera, I didn't build my own helicopter. This question seemed legitimate to me, especially for a user group. I'm a camera user, I try to figure out how it works.

I'm gonna be honest, and you're either gonna be furious or satisfied I was : you seem to be annoyed with my question, and to feel that I'm questioning your knowledge because I don't "accept" your explanation. And saying my curiosity is amusing seems to be a nicer way of saying that I'm a bit ridiculous. And maybe I am. I don't mind. Then again I could be just misinterpreting. The thing is I'm sure you know a lot, a lot more than me anyway, no need to quiz me about daylight sensors, but since you know a lot you could help me. I can accept that it's a daylight sensor, that was my bet too. But you were the one coming up with the test I ran, thank you for that, and the cam just didn't behave the way it should have. Why is the cam turning the IR LEDs on when I'm not blocking the daylight sensor but only the image sensor ?

If you wanna talk about that, for fun and simply to help me, thank you. If not, no hard feelings, I'll be trying things not as good as if you helped me and I hope to find my answer eventually.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Jen,

Thanks for frank and honest reply. I agree with a lot of what you said, really. After seeing fenderman's reply, and the "distance sensor" question from a new reader of the thread, I thought "maybe I shouldn't lead people down a path that might be time wasting, or get into other subjects, such as a distance detecting device".

This forum has many readers. My reply was meant for a) the wider audience (including future readers), and b) to maybe put this intellectual conversation on daylight sensors into perspective. For "Users Group" readers, my drill down reply on how the camera decides when to be in b/w or color might be something a little far afield for this forum. I respect this forum, and want to stay true to serving its members.

Like I said, I just wanna know how it works. Like "what's triggered by that button" and "what's that part". I don't feel like I'm drilling down and down.
Jen, I'm an engineer, cursed (or blessed) with a natural curiosity to always ask "Why?". It's a joke with my non-engineer friends, who tease me. And unfairly, IMHO, of too much thinking. "Analysis Paralysis". In this case, they'd say, "Dude, the camera works! Why do you need to know what each part behind the camera window is for?"
My reply today wasn't meant to dis you specifically.

you seem to be annoyed with my question, and to feel that I'm questioning your knowledge because I don't "accept" your explanation.
I didn't think you were "questioning my knowledge" which required a rebuttal or pushed me into pushing back on you. I'm confident in my knowledge, and questing me doesn't threaten me. Jen, no "annoyment" existed on on my end, directed towards you.

saying my curiosity is amusing seems to be a nicer way of saying that I'm a bit ridiculous.
My comment was directed to a)you and eeeees poster and b) other readers forum readers that might post questions like "explain this", "what electrical component is that?", "Explain how the software corrects images in this or that way".
I said I ran an engineering department that designed cameras. My rather long post showed I had technical insight. Maybe defensively, I said to the (possible) wider audience, some being non-technical, that if the camera works, isn't that good enough?
I spent time on that previous post of "daylight sensor" vs simple "light sensor". I wasn't looking to do long future posts on "Why this?", and "why that?".

you were the one coming up with the test I ran, thank you for that, and the cam just didn't behave the way it should have. Why is the cam turning the IR LEDs on when I'm not blocking the daylight sensor but only the image sensor ?
Jen, maybe my previous post wasn't worded clearly.
Entering b/w mode is based on two things: 1) daylight sensor voltage output and 2) image sensor light detection and contrast ratio. Disclaimer: I didn't work for Dahua, Hik or any other vendor on this forum.
My cameras would enter b/w mode even if the daylight sensor was bathed in light. (visible portion, not IR)

If you wanna talk about that, for fun and simply to help me, thank you.
I'm willing to help you, sorry if I seemed snotty. Or threatened by your questions. Like I said, my intellectual curiosity has been a cross to bear for many years. I just need to know how shit works!

Regards,
Fastb

Oh, re my comment on daylight sensor wavelength response:
If you have a camera with 940nm IR LEDs, I can make it go into daylight mode by shining 880nm IR light at it. Again, not to tout my experience. But if forum readers are intellectually curious, that's fine. I just would rather not be the tutor.
In my past, putting cameras in Dept of State armored vehicles for use overseas, the 880nm IR LEDs were NOT acceptable. The human eye sees them as a warm red glow. DoS insisted on 940nm IR illumination. Much, much less visible to the eye. But that requires a modified approach to "IR Cut Filters".
If a vehicle had our traditional 880nm cams and some newer 940nm cams, guess what? The daylight sensor for 940 cams, and the lens coating for 940nm cams didn't benefit from 880nm illumination.
As an extra wrinkle, we didn't use IR Cut filters, that physically move into and out of place. We did it all with lens coatings. And we had to deal with the coatings on car windows, which block IR. To keep your car cool in summer. And they unfortunately, they don't have a sharp "knee" between passing 880nm IR vs 940 nm IR in their wavelength response curves.

Most interestingly, when our cams had problems dealing with the "Sun" and "Dark" in the canyons of NYC while the Gov't Suburbans are ferrying diplomat's wives/girlfriends to 5th Ave shopping while their husbands are at the United Nations, we scrambled. How do you make a cam work for day/night behind a tinted window in the canyons of NYC? Should the suburban cams go into b/w mode at 2pm, due to limited light in the canyons of NYC and the tinting of the armored suburbans? eg: If that's a Fed Ex truck, I wanna see purple! Color at 2pm is expected!

Entering/Exiting color and b/w mode was a huge topic. And getting 940nm IR through Suburban windows, which have coatings to keep the vehicle cool.

Again, I've gone on too long. I could teach a class, or talk for hours.
Jen, I didn't intend to dis to you. Your curiosity strikes a chord with me, personally.

Anyone else: Don't ask me questions. Too time consuming, mainly. I participate to share tidbits of knowledge, if you have a spot-on question. And some of my techniques/knowledge/expertise probably shouldn't be shared.

At this point: I'll read replies, but won't do so such in a LONG AND WORDY AND DRAWN OUT Replies. Today, you caught me on a loquacious night.

If you're still reading, give a "Like". Please like @nayr, not me, 'cuz he is a giant on this site. Nayr is awesome.

Fastb

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes probably, but even if it is indeed a light sensor, we haven't figured out the way it functions.
Yes we have..not really sure if you are serious or joking...its a simple switch...on/off....it works the same way your dusk dawn sensor does on outdoor lighting.