Thoughts on camera selection?

Reaction score
I don't have the ability to change locations anymore, but now I am trying to figure out the best cameras to put in each location. I already have 1 PTZ that I need to use somewhere. Here is what I am thinking for each location (See attached screenshot):

• Location 1 - 2MP 30x Starlight IR PTZ (SD59230U-HNI)
  • Location 2 - IPC-HDW5231R-Z
  • Location 3 - Bullet with 12x (IPC-HFW5231E-Z12)
  • Location 4 - Bullet with 12x (IPC-HFW5231E-Z12)
  • Location 5 - IPC-HDW5231R-Z
Woods on the left side of the house. Big pond in front, and the driveway comes around the right side of the pond.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have the ability to change locations anymore, but now I am trying to figure out the best cameras to put in each location. I already have 1 PTZ that I need to use somewhere. Here is what I am thinking for each location (See attached screenshot):

Woods on the left side of the house. Big pond in front, and the driveway comes around the right side of the pond.
Depends, what are your goals.
Read the cliff notes in the wiki at top of page.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Man, I'd love to have a house like that (with a huge pond and woods)!

The Starlight models you picked are going to be the best low-light performers, so that's good.

To loone2ns point about your goals, are you OK with the gaps around the permitter of the house? After having 90% of mine covered "just because I could", I've turned out to use it so frequently that it'd be hard for me to be in a house that didn't have that, esp one out in the woods like yours!

Reaction score
Man. I looked at that wiki page nearly 10 times and I never saw the tiny link to the cliff notes. Most of that info I knew as I have been lurking here for nearly a year.

This is my parents house, maybe one day I will be able to live in something similar. In general, they live in a low crime suburban area, so we don't need it to be a fortress. I wouldn't say this is a budget install, but on principle, if I'm spending 10x the price, I better be getting 10x more value. Im mainly looking to monitor the primary entry points in the event that someone approaches the house. My parents travel a lot, so they want to know if something happens while they are gone. Probably more about recognition rather than identification of unknowns. Aesthetics also matter.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Welcome Blackbear

Looks like a great start - off hand it looks good - you will want to test onsite with some sort of test camera - dslr, cell phone, or a IP cam - I like to use the varifocal IPC-HDW5231 as that way I can test various FOVs.

Remember to get a PoE switch / NVR which can handle 16 cameras, as @aristobrat notes that with such a nice place we can see wanting to add more cameras to get better coverage.

CBagz

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you need a camera North of #4 in that corner looking south

Also one on the south side of #3 looking southeast.