Thoughts on dome cameras outside?

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ive been looking at purchasing some new cameras, since mine are all about 5-8 years old. I've picked out a few, but some of them are dome cameras. Throughout reading the forums here, Ive seen a lot of people say they dont prefer or recommend dome cameras for outside use. What are your thoughts?

Looking at these in particular, for street view (in addition to some other turret cameras that are 2-12mm:

4MP IR Vari-focal Dome WizMind Network Camera

-----

I live in MN where its 100F with 80% humidity or -35F. I currently have turret cameras outside, with no issues.
Wondering about moisture issues, scratches, reflections, etc.

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Domes will reflect light from nearby sources more so than a turret. They both will and sometimes a slight adjustment can move the spot out of the frame, but it can be a little more difficult with domes.

Domes tend to have IR leak on them, even if the foam/rubber is properly sealed against the dome at install, over time it can rot or gain a small entry.

Because of seating the IR foam/rubber blocker, the range of the dome is usually not as great because as you get closer to away from the center of the dome, seating it properly becomes problematic.

If the dome is not covered under a soffit or other means from the majority of the weather, it has more surface area to collect rain and impact the image. And if the dome was dirty, can leave dirt blobs noticeable at night with IR.

Since you have had good success with turrets, stay with them!

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to stay with turrets, and I will be going mostly turrets, but that camera I linked is hard to find any comparison to in turret or bullet form. I need at least 16mm+ to see identify the road which is 90-100 feet away.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well the Z4E goes to 32mm, but will struggle with IDENTIFY at that distance.
Interesting. Its DORI says Identify at 131ft. Ugh. I still have so much to learn.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Marketing numbers and real world are two different things, especially at night. I cannot IDENTIFY a stranger even at 130 feet with the Z4E in bright daylight. People have tried this camera for plate reading and it struggles beyond 60 feet, so that should give you some perspective comparing a face size to the size of a license plate.

My Z4E is 50 feet from the public sidewalk and I wish it had more zoom. My Z12E, although 2MP, can get a tighter shot. The larger the person is in the field of view, the easier it is to identify.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive been looking at purchasing some new cameras, since mine are all about 5-8 years old. I've picked out a few, but some of them are dome cameras. Throughout reading the forums here, Ive seen a lot of people say they dont prefer or recommend dome cameras for outside use. What are your thoughts?

Looking at these in particular, for street view (in addition to some other turret cameras that are 2-12mm:

4MP IR Vari-focal Dome WizMind Network Camera

-----

I live in MN where its 100F with 80% humidity or -35F. I currently have turret cameras outside, with no issues.
Wondering about moisture issues, scratches, reflections, etc.

Thanks

FWIW the camera in question:

1629755703864.png

Reaction score
Here are a few shots from my intersection camera, which is a Dahua B5442E-Z4E. These were test shots before I actually mounted the cam, set the final FOV, and dialed it in. Since I never intended to use IR, I have no IR night shots to display. But at least these can give you an idea of the resolution at distance. The distances are approximate, but should be within a few feet.

27mm-75ft.JPG27mm-95ft.JPG32mm-65ft.JPG32mm-90ft.JPG

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here are a few shots from my intersection camera, which is a Dahua B5442E-Z4E. These were test shots before I actually mounted the cam, set the final FOV, and dialed it in. Since I never intended to use IR, I have no IR night shots to display. But at least these can give you an idea of the resolution at distance. The distances are approximate, but should be within a few feet.

View attachment 99465View attachment 99466View attachment 99467View attachment 99468
Thank you so much. Its often hard to find good comparison images. 27mm at 95ft is plenty good for me. Good to know.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got two domes outside under eves.

I like the look of domes far more than turrets. They're harder to tell which way they're pointing and have a cleaner look to me (IMO).

To glare issues:
Yes, I've had dirt get on the dome, I just clean it off. Same as what happens to a turret camera, it gets dirt on the lens, I clean it off.

Biggest issue that you need to be aware of it accidently getting dirt inside the dome.
The dome needs to be completely clean on the inside. Clean installation is key.

Second issue to IR light glare is if the rubber/sponge seal around the lens has degraded in some way. They do deteriorate over time, so this is an example to use them in areas without direct sunlight.

Doesn't happen as much with quality cameras, but the actual dome does discolor with UV over time.
By the time that happens it's an excuse to upgrade.

To comments above on external light reflecting:
I notice that in my PTZ and fixed dome. I don't have any street lights glaring into my cameras, but occasionally a car going by will glare into it. Glare I've seen is about comparable to the glare my turret gets.

Over all, I like domes.
They are just more work and don't always last as long outside (rubber seal/dome deteriorating in UV).

I agree for the clause of concern outlined above, but if you feel a dome is better then go ahead.

^My outdoor setup contains 1 fixed IR dome (like pictured), 1 PTZ dome (Dahua mini PTZ) and 1 Turret (Axis M31).