Thoughts on Physically Locating PoE and CAT6

bgm1911

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm ready to install CAT6 and my switch. I have full access to attics where i can run the CAT, and currently have drywall open (remodeling) to get from 2nd floor to 1st floor office.

I'm Unsure about where to physically place my switch:

- run short lengths of CAT from cameras to switch that i can place in a closet with power, and then 1 CAT back to the attic and down thru the wall to office to BI PC.
or
- run longer lengths of CAT from all cameras down through the wall to have switch located in office with BI PC, and beside my router.

I'm not anticipating more than 4 cameras ATT, so that much CAT thru a wall would not be a big deal, but if the switch is in the closet, adding CAT and camera later would be easier.

What are some thoughts?

TIA,
Mike

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would go the route that would allow adding more cameras. You always want more later. If the cameras are outside you really might want to consider separate IR lights. I'm having to clear spider webs and jiggling spiders about once every 2 nights. Dang things are so close it makes it appear as a large body crossing the trip wires. Plus like my B5442 Z4, the external mic needs 12V power.

bgm1911

n3wb
Reaction score
If the cameras are outside you really might want to consider separate IR lights. Plus like my B5442 Z4, the external mic needs 12V power.
My 1st camera is a B5442E bullet, is it likely to need a separate IR light (I'm unfamiliar with)? Will those have to be powered from the PoE switch?

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your camera has an IR light built in like most cameras. The only thing is it attracts moths and spiders. If you're using simple IVS trip wires they set the alarm off. Rather new at this myself but usually the IR lights need separate power lines with little 1-2 amp adapters. Look at the Wiki at the top left of the page..has info on different stuff. Under "everything else" then Cliff notes.

Reaction score
My 1st camera is a B5442E bullet, is it likely to need a separate IR light (I'm unfamiliar with)? Will those have to be powered from the PoE switch?
That would depend on how much light you have at night. That cam has very good low light color performance. You may not need IR at all. But if you do and you find that the IR on cam gives you webs, then a separate IR emitter, like @Bryan states, could fix that issue. Some separate IR emitters can run on POE. Others need their own power supply. It depends on which ones you buy.

Most folks like to keep all of their IT 'stuff' in one place, like a rack or a closet where the internet comes into the house. If you keep your router in your office, is that also the modem for accessing the internet?

Personally, running cable is a big chore. I would opt for the option that gives less routing of cables.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm ready to install CAT6 and my switch. I have full access to attics where i can run the CAT, and currently have drywall open (remodeling) to get from 2nd floor to 1st floor office.

I'm Unsure about where to physically place my switch:

- run short lengths of CAT from cameras to switch that i can place in a closet with power, and then 1 CAT back to the attic and down thru the wall to office to BI PC.
or
- run longer lengths of CAT from all cameras down through the wall to have switch located in office with BI PC, and beside my router.

I'm not anticipating more than 4 cameras ATT, so that much CAT thru a wall would not be a big deal, but if the switch is in the closet, adding CAT and camera later would be easier.

What are some thoughts?

TIA,
Mike
HI Mike,

Ideally I like less failure points, thus I prefer to run more cat6 runs straight to a networking closet / data cabinet.

Remember to also run cat6 to all locations you think you will have a non-mobile ip device ( computer / tv/ game station / access point... )

bgm1911

n3wb
Reaction score
[QUOTE="samplenhold, post: 472021, member: 59739"If you keep your router in your office, is that also the modem for accessing the internet?

Personally, running cable is a big chore. I would opt for the option that gives less routing of cables.[/QUOTE]

Comcast cable modem feeding into my ethernet/wifi router.

Since I have the wall open on the 2nd floor, pulling cables now would be easy, that's why I listed as an option.

But I do get the suggestion that if I want the PoE switch in the office, will I pull enough cable for future camera growth? That makes the argument for the switch in the closet where CAT would be way easier to install for new cameras.

Reaction score
Something to consider. Cams are like rabbits. When I started two years ago, I KNEW there was no way I needed more then 4 cams. Well I am up to 18 at the moment. I have 5 more sitting on the table waiting to be installed as soon as I can get the cables run. That will be 23. BUT, I have yet to do the NE corner of my house. So that is two or three more. Some say I am committed. Some say obsessed. Some say I am way under covered. But it has turned into a hobby for me.

Since the wall is open, you could run a wide conduit or two from the attic to your office for future runs. Say 3" PVC with a string in each one to enable pulling of cable in the future. You do not even have to put a box in the wall now if you do not want. As long as you know exactly where the ends are, you could cut the sheetrock later if you need it.