Three cam vehicle systems?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Wifey had her Ford Escape broken into while on a work trip and the hotel was in what was apparently a bad area. I had a dash cam mounted pointing forwards to record 24/7 but the thief must've approached from the rear. They broke the rear side fly window and lifted the laptop and camera bags out of the rear compartment. No useful footage and the factory alarm doesn't include glass breaks so the alarm didn't even go off because no doors were opened. They tried to pop the glass out but it didn't budge so they smashed it. There's a pry mark on the metal at one corner but a big hole smashed in the center.

I didn't know but probably should have guessed about that hole in the stock security system. Obviously "good" thieves know the weak points. Google tells me that it isn't a big deal to add a glass break to your factory system. Under $50 for the glass break, relay, and some wire. The big deal is just knowing which wire to hook it into on your factory system and wiring the relay so the glass break is only active when the ignition is turned off. That's where Google comes in handy.

One of the Blackvue systems with two cams would've been nice but a three cam system would be the cat's meow. Front, interior, and rear view. I'm getting feature-obsessive I guess, but it's always easier to say how you should've been prepared AFTER an event like that.

This isn't really a how-to post or one with a lot of information, just more of a "be aware and be prepared" post.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @Kawboy12R

Did you find an solution for breakins?

Had a similar issue and was looking for a way to catch criminals mug shots when they do this.

Thank You

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Not really. We had the camera that was in it running 24/7 kill the battery on us once after the Escape was sitting for a little while and now she doesn't want a whole bunch of cameras killing the battery when it's parked. One camera killed the battery after a week so three cameras would probably kill it after a weekend of not being used.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In this situation a camera facing the interior of the vehicle (from the front windshield) would be the best. If you had a rear facing cam they probably would've taken the camera with everything else.