Throughputs... And Working At Or Near Limits

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One of my numerous noob questions for the day, and the day is young here ;)

I'm struggling with my pre-conceived budget, which is not as much a financial constraint as a preference of how much to invest. To enable a greater spend on cameras I am investigating the lowest cost, workable option for an NVR. I'm looking at a NVR4116HS-4KS2 which states a record rate of 80Mbps, has only a 10/100 connection, is a simnle SATA model... but is H265. I only have around six to eight H265 cameras on my shortlist and they are spec'd at around 6Mbps maximum.

So if I was to work on the highest advertised bitrate for a selection of cameras, how close to the advertised throughput of a DVR would prove reliable? As the subject NVR is a non-PoE unit and as such I will need to use a switch, how close to the Interface limit of the NVR would be reliable if the distance between the NVR and the switch is kept short?

I might never add any extra cameras. However if I did they may be some higher pixel density units for daytime detail... and I'd like to have an understanding of what is likely to occur as I approach the NVRs limits, and how much to derate the specs.

Cheers,
Steve

imaz

n3wb
Reaction score
What system do you have at the moment? Have looked at Hikvision? Dahua?

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a NVR4116HS-4KS2 which states a record rate of 80Mbps, has only a 10/100 connection,
If it's that low on the LAN interface and the input bitrate - you can bet it will be pretty low on other performance features also.

how close to the Interface limit of the NVR would be reliable if the distance between the NVR and the switch is kept short?
Distance does not really come into this - using normal cabling, the Cat5e ethernet spec gives a minimum of 100m for correct operation.