Time Drifting Rapidly Despite Clock Synchronization

Hacker

n3wb
Reaction score
Capture.JPG I just bought the BI software last week for home surveillance after testing it briefly. Very impressed. Setup was flawless with the recommended HW used.

I have an initial setup of six cameras. Three are D-Link and I noticed something strange.

The time moves rapidly on them. The seconds of the time will move faster than the rest. So if i reset them, after and a few hours, the timings will show an hour or more ahead of the actual time. Setup is via the drop down list as this is a recommended camera (not generic).

The model is the D-Link DCS-2630L (Full HD 180-Degree Wi-Fi Camera |). The camera takes the time from the NTP time.google.com. No DST and timezone is set correctly to +8.

I restart the service, reboot and even unplug it. It will start again at the correct time *BUT* will drift and within an hour, the time difference will be 13-15 minutes difference.

Anyone facing this issue?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought the BI software last week for home surveillance after testing it briefly. Very impressed. Setup was flawless with the recommended HW used.

I have an initial setup of six cameras. Three are D-Link and I noticed something strange.

The time moves rapidly on them. The seconds of the time will move faster than the rest. So if i reset them, after and a few hours, the timings will show an hour or more ahead of the actual time. Setup is via the drop down list as this is a recommended camera (not generic).

The model is the D-Link DCS-2630L (Full HD 180-Degree Wi-Fi Camera |). The camera takes the time from the NTP time.google.com. No DST and timezone is set correctly to +8.

I restart the service, reboot and even unplug it. It will start again at the correct time *BUT* will drift and within an hour, the time difference will be 13-15 minutes difference.

Anyone facing this issue?
That looks like the blue iris overlay not the cameras own overlay...it gets its time from the pc clock...
the latest update addresses some time sync issues....
that said, to minimize cpu consumption you should be recording direct to disc (record tab >format) and use the cameras own time overlay.

Hacker

n3wb
Reaction score
That looks like the blue iris overlay not the cameras own overlay...it gets its time from the pc clock...
the latest update addresses some time sync issues....
that said, to minimize cpu consumption you should be recording direct to disc (record tab >format) and use the cameras own time overlay.
I believe all recordings are direct to disc. I have to check. Just gotten this software. My CPU consumption is hovers around 12%.

Using an i7 8700.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe all recordings are direct to disc. I have to check. Just gotten this software. My CPU consumption is hovers around 12%.

Using an i7 8700.
if using direct to disk the blue iris time overlay will not record..you must use the cameras overlay...

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
As a test, can you go into the camera's firmware and turn off the time stamp coming to the server? Or leave it on and maybe move it to another corner of the view?

I wonder if the camera might need a factory reset.

Hacker

n3wb
Reaction score
I maxed everything on the cameras and Audio/Video/Picture quality. Now it is just 15fps on the cameras and 20fps for max at BI. No more issues.

Hacker

n3wb
Reaction score
No issues now after setting a lower frame rate (I get options with weird decimal places). I now have my own internal NTP so that all cameras point to that.

Last edited:

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if using direct to disk the blue iris time overlay will not record..you must use the cameras overlay...
Actually if using D2D the camera overlay does record, it will only show up when you export the clip and click "Add cameras text and graphics overlay".

1111.png

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Correct but at least it's there as an option on export if needed. It's not 'burnt into the camera image' like if the time/date is turned on from camera settings.

Robert M

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just noticed this happening today.

8:05pm is what my PC is set to. The areas in Red are the Blue Iris Overlay. All 5 cameras are being recorded from a remote location. If you look in the upper left of 3 of them you can see the camera time itself is ok.

What causes the overlay time to be different across 5 different cameras? Should they all be the same offset if they are drifting from the PC? I'm only noticing the drift on the 3 remote HikVision cameras (for whatever reason).

I'm doing direct to disc recording as well so realize the display may be redundant anyway, but it irks me (from a technology standpoint). Disabling/Re-enabling the camera fix the time for awhile, but then it drifts again.

In any case, just reporting this here in case it helps identify the issue.

Robert M

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FYI - I reverted to v4.6.2.1 and the time drift issue went away.

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My BI computer was off by a couple of minutes. Turned out to be a problem with the windows clock time server. By changing the auto time to time.nist.gov I havent had a problem since.
tick.usno.navy.mil and tock.usno.navy.mil are good choices as well. Str2 synced off of the Navy master clock.