Time to get started.

JEO

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve been studying the forums for a while and trying to soak up as much of the info as my brain will allow. The IP Cam Cliff Notes were a great help as well as all the info in the forums. I purchased some gear from Andy and Amazon to set up a small home camera system.

Cameras and NVR are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Dahua cameras, 2 now, add 3 or 4 later (DH-IPC-HDW5231R-ZE)

Amcrest 8 port Poe switch (AGPS9E8P-AT-96)

Dahua non PoE NVR (DHI-NVR5216/32-4KS2) with 2 WD Purple 4TB HDD

Asus router (RT-AC68U AC1900)

I’m thinking my set up will have to be:

Cameras to PoE switch to router, all via Cat5e cable

PoE switch to router via Cat5e cable

Can the Poe switch be cabled directly to the NVR and then the NVR to the router?

If this were possible then my NVR could still be recording camera input if there was a router problem.

Any thoughts on this?

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why not just use cat6 yes you don’t need it for security cameras but pulling cable is a true bitch so do it once...

Edit: also make sure you use good cable mono price, cables matter.. ect

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve been studying the forums for a while and trying to soak up as much of the info as my brain will allow. The IP Cam Cliff Notes were a great help as well as all the info in the forums. I purchased some gear from Andy and Amazon to set up a small home camera system.

Cameras and NVR are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Dahua cameras, 2 now, add 3 or 4 later (DH-IPC-HDW5231R-ZE)

Amcrest 8 port Poe switch (AGPS9E8P-AT-96)

Dahua non PoE NVR (DHI-NVR5216/32-4KS2) with 2 WD Purple 4TB HDD

Asus router (RT-AC68U AC1900)

I’m thinking my set up will have to be:

PoE switch to router via Cat5e cable

Can the Poe switch be cabled directly to the NVR and then the NVR to the router?

If this were possible then my NVR could still be recording camera input if there was a router problem.

Any thoughts on this?
Connect all cameras and the NVR into the POE switch. Then if you need remote access, then plug one cable from the POE switch to the router.

jaygen

n3wb
Reaction score
Connect all cameras and the NVR into the POE switch. Then if you need remote access, then plug one cable from the POE switch to the router.
So just to clarify, you would simply go from the switch to the router, then from the router to the NVR?

JEO

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks LOONEY2NS, ran some of my cable in the attic this morning. Monoprice was a good source. DHL package from Andy just arrived with the good stuff!

Cameras into PoE no problem. When you say NVR into PoE, do you mean the NVR network port connected into one of the PoE switch's 8 PoE+ ports and then use the PoE switch's network port to the router?

I had originally planned on connecting both NVR and switch to the router but figured if someone broke in and grabbed any electronics within sight they'd take my router too and interrupt the NVR's recording if I didn't have them connected somehow. My NVR is hidden.

As a recovering knuckle dragger my networking skills are below minimal but I am learning. Thanks for your help.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So just to clarify, you would simply go from the switch to the router, then from the router to the NVR?
Plug the NVR and the cameras to the switch, from the switch to the router.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaygen

n3wb
Reaction score
Plug the NVR and the cameras to the switch, from the switch to the router.
Thanks

OK thanks, so I would need 2 cables coming from the switch then if the switch is in the attic.
Sorry Jeo, not trying to hijack your thread, your setup is very similar to mine, havent installed yet, still waiting on cams from Andy ;)

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK thanks, so I would need 2 cables coming from the switch then if the switch is in the attic.
Sorry Jeo, not trying to hijack your thread, your setup is very similar to mine, havent installed yet, still waiting on cams from Andy ;)
Not sure on your equipment locations but ideally you want the NVR and cameras in one switch if possible although not necessary.

Just remember to have one cable from switch to router or else you will create loops in network.

jaygen

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok..I guess what I'm trying to find out is...to be able to access remotely from a phone; you need to go from the switch to the router, so then from the router to NVR? Or keep the connection from the switch to the NVR and then an additional connection from the switch to the router? Sorry, this is all new to me.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok..I guess what I'm trying to find out is...to be able to access remotely from a phone; you need to go from the switch to the router, so then from the router to NVR? Or keep the connection from the switch to the NVR and then an additional connection from the switch to the router? Sorry, this is all new to me.
As mentioned previously you need all cameras and NVR to switch and just one cable from switch to router, that's it.

This should still allow access remotely although you will need to do configuration on router to allow this.

Thanks