TinyCam PRO with TP-Link Tapo C210

Sabotto

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't see the ip camera in question remotely I'm trying after opening port 554 in the router on the IP assigned to the camera
I have a static IP, I entered that:
here is the URL in "Hostname/IP" of the TinYcam Monitor app:
rstp:/User:Mypassword@MyStaticIP:554/stream1
User And MyPassword are created in Tapo App
but it does not work!!!
Among other things, after entering this URL, the app transforms it and leaves me only the IP in the format xx.xxx.xx.xxx
Can anyone help me?!?!?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BTW, your URL works great with VLC with my Tapo C-110 (after using my user/pass and IP).
I will try later on my Sony Bravia TV which has Tinycam Pro and let you know.
It will be a LAN-only test, I will not forward a port in my router to it.

Sabotto

n3wb
Reaction score
The "static IP" you refer to...is that a static LAN IP or WAN IP?
Obviously WAN
It is a camera installed in the office where I work and we have a static IP address provided by our telephone provider

Sabotto

n3wb
Reaction score
Edit I tried configuring the parameters in the TinyCam Monitor Pro app like this
Camera brand: (ONVIF)
Camera model:
Profile S
Hostname/IP Address: 192.168.0.118
ONVIF port number: 2020
Protocol: RTSP over TCP (H264/H265)
RTSP Port Number: Automatic
Use HTTPS: (unchecked)
Username: my name created with Tapo app
Change password: mypassword created with the Tapo app

And I can see the images from the camera by connecting with my mobile phone on the same wifi as the camera!
I then tried to open port 2020 on the camera's LAN IP address 192.168.0.118 on the router and replace the LAN IP with my static public IP address:

Hostname/IP Address: 94.101.xx.xxx

But I don't see the images.
In short, the problem is seeing the camera remotely

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Obviously WAN
No, it's not "obvious" which is why I asked.
Many people, especially a noob on this forum as yourself, have no idea about some of the terms they use.
It is a camera installed in the office where I work and we have a static IP address provided by our telephone provider
And for the record, what makes a WAN IP accessible over the Internet is not that it's "static" but if it's "public"; even a "dynamic" WAN IP that is NOT static can be accessible over the Internet as long as it's "public".
I then tried to open port 2020 on the camera's LAN IP address 192.168.0.118 on the router and replace the LAN IP with my static public IP address:
Hostname/IP Address: 94.101.xx.xxx
Another "for the record" : I am not promoting port forwarding here but since you're going to do so......
Have you tried this?
  • Leave the camera's LAN IP alone at 192.168.0.118
  • In the router forward port 554 to 192.168.0.118
  • Since the Tapo camera will only operate in DHCP mode, reserve IP 192.168.0.118 in the router
  • Try this URL remotely:
Code:
rtsp:/User:Mypassword@94.101.xx.xxx:554/stream1
or
Code:
rtsp:/User:Mypassword@DDNS-hostname:554/stream1
Of course, use 2 "/" after "rtsp:", as forum software won't allow 2 to be displayed consecutively. Also, insure your syntax is correct: in your first post in bold you stated "rstp" which is incorrect; it should be "rtsp".

Last edited:

Sabotto

n3wb
Reaction score
No, it's not "obvious" which is why I asked.
Many people, especially a noob on this forum as yourself, have no idea about some of the terms they use.

And for the record, what makes a WAN IP accessible over the Internet is not that it's "static" but if it's "public"; even a "dynamic" WAN IP that is NOT static can be accessible over the Internet as long as it's "public".

Another "for the record" : I am not promoting port forwarding here but since you're going to do so......
Have you tried this?
  • Leave the camera's LAN IP alone at 192.168.0.118
  • In the router forward port 554 to 192.168.0.118
  • Since the Tapo camera will only operate in DHCP mode, reserve IP 192.168.0.118 in the router
  • Try this URL remotely:
Code:
rtsp:/User:Mypassword@94.101.xx.xxx:554/stream1
or
Code:
rtsp:/User:Mypassword@DDNS-hostname:554/stream1
Of course, use 2 "/" after "rtsp:", as forum software won't allow 2 to be displayed consecutively. Also, insure your syntax is correct: in your first post in bold you stated "rstp" which is incorrect; it should be "rtsp".
First of all, thank you for your contribution
Yes, sorry, you're right: it's not obvious at all, especially regarding the fact that many confuse LAN with WAN
On my router I opened both port 554 and 2020, both connected to the LAN IP of my camera (192.168.0.118)
The ports are open (tested with YouGetSignal.com)
I also reserved this address in the router's DHCP as you rightly suggest.
Yes "rstp" was a typo
As mentioned, however, I would like to use the TinyCam Monitor app to connect remotely
With the configuration I described above I can do it, but only if I have the smartphone and the camera in the same LAN.
I wanted to test everything with the Public address; then if it works I will create a DDNs with No.IP.com because I will use the camera at home where I don't have a static public IP.

However, using VLC with rtsp:/user : password@94.101.xx.xxx:554/stream1 it does not work
with rtsp:/user : password@192.168.0.118:554/stream1 works ( I voluntarily left a space between user and password otherwise it will put a smiley on me... )
But, again, I'm interested in knowing the parameters to set in the TinyCam Monitor app but I also sent an email to the author of the app and he hasn't responded yet

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
However, using VLC with rtsp:/user : password@94.101.xx.xxx:554/stream1 it does not work
FWIW, I temporarily forwarded port 554 in my router to my Tapo camera's LAN IP, opened VLC on my Android smartphone which is NOT on my LAN and viewed my camera successfully using:

Code:
rtsp:/User:Password@MyWANHostName:554/stream1
I have a static, public WAN IP and I attached my MyWANHostName to my static WAN IP on my DDNS provider. If I have time tonight I will attempt to use TC Pro on my TV but I will have to change the TV to use the Wi-Fi hotspot on my Android phone so it won't be on my LAN.

Sabotto

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe we are getting to the solution!!!, (thanks to you too, for the tests you are doing for me...)
From my home PC, therefore with another wifi, different from the one I have in the office where the camera is positioned, using VLC with the ddns that I have for the office router, I can see!!!!
In VLC's Open Network Stream: rtsp:/user : passw@mioddns.ddns.net:554/stream1

Now, therefore, having established that the camera can be visible remotely, I need to understand how to set the parameters in the TinyCam Monitor Android app to see it there too.
I'll do some tests

Sabotto

n3wb
Reaction score
Hurrah!!!! I see!!!!!
Camera brand: (ONVIF)
Camera model: Profile S
Hostname/IP Address: myHostNameDDNS
ONVIF port number: 2020
Protocol: RTSP over TCP (H264/H265)
RTSP Port Number: Automatic
Use HTTPS: (unchecked)
Username: my user (created with Tapo app)
Change password: mypassword (created with the Tapo app)

You can avoid doing tests for me, then

A curiosity: you wrote above
Another "for the record" : I am not promoting port forwarding here but since you're going to do so.....

What do you mean?
That it is inadvisable to open ports in the router??;
But what could the alternative be to avoid using the cloud and therefore the camera's proprietary app?
Thanks again for your patience

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good to hear you are able to view it now! :)
What do you mean?
That it is inadvisable to open ports in the router??;
But what could the alternative be to avoid using the cloud and therefore the camera's proprietary app?
You can compromise your network's security by opening ports on your router, exposing your network to the Internet.
A VPN server on the router at the cam and a VPN client app on the smartphone is a secure method for remote viewing.
More here:

Sabotto

n3wb
Reaction score
Hurrah!!!! I see!!!!!
I spoke too soon.... This morning I connected with my smartphone and I no longer see the camera remotely, neither from the app nor from VLC! I can see it with the local IP. I didn't touch anything, what could have happened? I also tried turning it off and on again, but to no avail.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I spoke too soon.... This morning I connected with my smartphone and I no longer see the camera remotely, neither from the app nor from VLC! I can see it with the local IP. I didn't touch anything, what could have happened? I also tried turning it off and on again, but to no avail.
Did the WAN IP change and the change was not reflected by your DDNS hostname?
You can ping the hostname and your correct, current WAN IP should be returned by the ping.

Or possibly your camera may already have been hacked via the open port(s).:idk:

Last edited:

Sabotto

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't understand one thing:
I noticed that if I don't open the 2020 port (ONVIF), I can still see the camera remotely.
Do you only need port 554 for RTSP then?
Can I also not open the port 2020?

edit
No, I stand corrected, after a while I closed the connection and when I restarted it, with the 2020 port closed, it can no longer be seen.
I have to keep them both open

Last edited: