Tips picking one of these 8 camera's (Hikvision, D-Link, Axis, Vivotke)

ujjain

n3wb
Reaction score
These camera's are heavily discounted right now in the European Amazon warehouses.

Important for me is mostly indoor usage, but also night vision. I've had a €30 EM6225 and €100 Hikvision. The camera quality of the Hikvision was breathtaking, very beautiful, but the EM6225 had much better vision at night. Hikvision: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-DS-2CD2142FWD-I-External-Network-Camera/dp/B017C45K2O - I already have this one. So night vision is important. I'd also be nice to be able to control the PTZ without needing screw drivers to open up the camera.

€310 Hikvision DS-2CD4132FWD IZ-IP Camera White
€80 Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-I Webcam
€75 Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I 3 MP - But seems outdoor
€232 D-Link DCS-6517 5 Mp Outdoor Dome Network Camera
€75 D-Link DCS-2530L
€192 Axis M3006-V - Looks very old, not that great.
€80 Vivotke FD8169
€184 Roline 21197318

I'm currently using Synology Surveillance Station, but will be using Blue Iris, already have a license and set it up.

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just got one of these which is a rebranded Hikvision and "4MP". GREAT small bullet (60-70mm diam across) and would be as good indoors or outdoors.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072KMVK43/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even better value is one of these (again rebranded Hikvision) and great for indoors with mic, speaker and card slot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N80AIK2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the Hikvision 4MP one and have ordered one to see how it compares.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do not buy the mini bullets...look for a turret design...start reading the forum..dont buy on based on what is discounted...buy based on what is proper for your needs.

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fender that bullet I purchased actually works fine without the infra red switched on (i.e. in day time only set constant) as the street lamps light up the rear enough. Hopefully that will mean no spiders :)

Will post some pics later in that thread.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fender that bullet I purchased actually works fine without the infra red switched on (i.e. in day time only set constant) as the street lamps light up the rear enough. Hopefully that will mean no spiders :)

Will post some pics later in that thread.
that might work for you...but not for most...regardless, turret is a better design..and there are better sensors than the 4mp...even with lots of street lighting you image is full of noise and barely usable

ujjain

n3wb
Reaction score
These lamps have both the same supported resolution and infra-red support. Can you see a slight variation in night time quality?

I don't know if it's possible to see the difference in image quality, because of imgur's image compression.

So I'd like to have 1 more light that has decent night vision. I already have 8 other 2nd hand camera's to try out on the couch, that I now have 3 weeks left for to return to Amazon.

Do not buy the mini bullets...look for a turret design...start reading the forum..dont buy on based on what is discounted...buy based on what is proper for your needs.
Could you point me to a few good articles?

I don't know anything about surveillance camera's, except that I want an IP Camera (use my own software), currently care more about indoor when I'm not home, night, etc.

I have a Xiaomi Fang, EM6225 (I think it's a 270p camera, he's just there to add more IR light for Hikkie) and Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I. I was a bit sad when buying the first more expensive camera, the Hikvision, that it was supposed to have IR etc. but even the EM6225 can see more than it.

So could you point me to some short reading material? I've checked out so many "top 10 surveillance camera's" to buy list pages, but wasn't very impressed with those pages.

ujjain

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes and can you create an account at www.imgur.com to upload the pictures in higher quality?

I am very curious how that cam would perform in the dark.

Make the account first, so it’s easier to delete pictures later.

ujjain

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah ok, it looked very small on my mobile, but looks fine on desktop.

jerrysimon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok daytime shot though strip light was on in the room.

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 18.07.54.png

Will post the same nightshot this evening :)

Last edited: