TL-SG1008P Question

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ran a little over 100 feet of direct burial cat 5e and Plenum cat 5e to a detached garage of witch approximately 50 feet is underground in a conduit (took Q2's advice). When I use the HDE tester all the green lights blink on both ends indicating a good connection. When I plug my Dahuau SD22204T-GN to the direct burial cat 5e cable the PTZ cam does it's rotation but does not communicate with cam...connected to Plenum cat5e, nothing happens. The cables are connected to TL-SG1008P POE switch. Could it be possible the POE switch is not supplying enough power for the cam? Also thinking maybe the HDE tester might be giving me a false positive results.

I have been testing SD22204T-GN inside the house for over three weeks connected to the SG1008P POE switch with 40 feet of Plenum cat 5e with no problems.
Yes I did swap cables with all 4 POE ports same problem.
I did try plugging my laptop to both cables in garage, laptop was unable to connect with POE switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Could it be possible the POE switch is not supplying enough power for the cam?
Not if :
I did try plugging my laptop to both cables in garage, laptop was unable to connect with POE switch.
Presumably no link light.
The symptoms - PoE is OK but no comms - suggest a wiring error, as you would get if the twisted pairs were not maintained.
Does your tester just check continuity?

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson, thank you very much for your fast reply.

Not if :
Presumably no link light.
When I have the direct burial cat 5e cable connected to cam and POE switch, top green light "poe status" is on, but the "link/Act" is not, see photo.TL-SG1008P.jpg
Does your tester just check continuity?
I am not familiar with the HDE tester. I purchased because a member of this community recommended.
I do have a digital volt ohm meter.
My diagnosis would also be a wire problem but what confuses me is why HDE tester is showing continuity with the blinking green lights unless I am reading it wrong?

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Eyeball your connections again and make sure you have both ends configured for 568B. As far as the tester, you get what you pay for. :(

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Eyeball your connections again and make sure you have both ends configured for 568B. As far as the tester, you get what you pay for. :(
I have replaced the ends at least 4X. The ends are configured https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b859f0_5d4f3f7e1c6d49ae8a0048b8413aa0c6.gif Courtesy Dalepa.

Here is something that is interesting that happened. I had a dLink 5 port giga switch (Non-Poe) laying around. I connected direct burial cat5e cable from TL-SG1008P switch to dLink. Then connected a cat 5e cable from dLink to my laptop. Could not believe laptop made a connection. So I checked download and upload speed. Download was approximately 9kbs, at my main PC in my LAN download is 29kbs. Upload was 5kbs, same as at PC...no loss in upload speed. Only thing was it lasted for half an hour, then the connection was lost :(.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My diagnosis would also be a wire problem but what confuses me is why HDE tester is showing continuity with the blinking green lights unless I am reading it wrong?
Yes, you are reading it correctly - however:
As @bob2701 indicates you must ensure that the wires are assigned and connected according to the required standards. There is no latitude in this, as the differential Ethernet signals must travel over twisted pairs in order to achieve reliable signal transmission. Mix these up and the ability to communicate disappears. But with continuity, DC power is still possible.
Continuity (presumably what your tester indicates) is necessary, but not sufficient.

*edit* Apologies for the posting overlap.
Internet upload and download speed is irrelevant here.
You should test transfer speed with a local source, such as a file share on a local PC or NAS.

On the house end of the cable - how is the onward connection achieved? Is there a home-terminated patch cable in play?

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the house end of the cable - how is the onward connection achieved? Is there a home-terminated patch cable in play?
No terminated patch cable are used. Cat5e cable from garage is plugged directly to POE powered port of the TL-SG1008P. I apologize if I did not answer your question.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ran a little over 100 feet of direct burial cat 5e and Plenum cat 5e to a detached garage of witch approximately 50 feet is underground in a conduit (took Q2's advice). When I use the HDE tester all the green lights blink on both ends indicating a good connection. When I plug my Dahuau SD22204T-GN to the direct burial cat 5e cable the PTZ cam does it's rotation but does not communicate with cam...connected to Plenum cat5e, nothing happens. The cables are connected to TL-SG1008P POE switch. Could it be possible the POE switch is not supplying enough power for the cam? Also thinking maybe the HDE tester might be giving me a false positive results.
Is this one cable or did you slice 2 together? If one cable, how close did you keep the twist to the connector?

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is this one cable or did you slice 2 together? If one cable, how close did you keep the twist to the connector?
No splicing. They are 2 separate runs from POE switch to garage via underground conduit.

These connector end are at the garage : GarageEnd.jpg

These are the connectors at the POE Switch:TP-LinkEnd.jpg

Black cable is direct burial cat5e cable. Blue cable is Plenum cat5e.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Seems weird that you are having the same problem on 2 different 100' cable runs. Must be something else going on.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems weird that you are having the same problem on 2 different 100' cable runs. Must be something else going on.
What makes it more weirder is the HDE tester is showing continuity by the green lights blinking in correct order with the 2 different cable. Later I will be picking up another tester an electrician uses, his tester should be better than my HDE.
I have been reading many threads on cables and POE switches posted on this board...one member had the same symptom I am experiencing, he changed his POE switch and the cam started working.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cabling issue most definitely, when you plugged the Non-PoE switch in one end and your laptop at the other end what was the negotiated link speed? I'm betting it did not get a GigE link.

Are you sure your crimps are for cat5e solid copper designed for the gauge wire your using? Seen issues like this when someone tried to crimp a cat6 connector onto a cat5 cable and was getting bad connections internally.

do you have any punchdown blocks and tools?

Try plugging 2 GigE computers into each end, manually configure the network between them and then try some large file transfers to really test the cabling.

Also check interface stats and look for any error counters not on 0.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you sure your colors are right on the POE side of the direct burial cable? The picture makes it hard to see, but I think you white/blue is in the wrong order.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
great eye @rotorwash, that looks like he has a blue/white where he should have a green/white..

but his continuity tester should have revealed that issue, if the side he video'd is going 1-8 in order w/out problem the other side of the tester would show another order being cycled through.. like 1/2/5/4/3/6/7/8.. if both ends dont cycle through the wires in order than the continuity is not correct.. cant just check one end, have to compare both ends and since were working with straight cables both ends should cycle through the pins identically.

thats about all those testers are good for, verifying all the pins are connected (lights up at all) and in the right order (cycles pins identically on both ends).. they rarely reveal cable damage/emi or deeper issues, just bad termination points.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you sure your colors are right on the POE side of the direct burial cable? The picture makes it hard to see, but I think you white/blue is in the wrong order.
Yes the picture makes it hard to see but if that were the case then the other cable should work. ??? I think a better tester (something that cost more than $10) should help.

If you are having problems with the connectors maybe pick up some EZ-RJ45 connectors with pass though holes, great for beginners and like me old folks.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes the picture makes it hard to see but if that were the case then the other cable should work. ??? I think a better tester (something that cost more than $10) should help.

If you are having problems with the connectors maybe pick up some EZ-RJ45 connectors with pass though holes, great for beginners and like me old folks.
The other cable is even harder to see because of the flash or reflection. It's hard to see if it's right or not. I suggest checking the ends again and make sure they are all identical.

ETA: Terminating cables is not the easiest thing in the world to do. I can't tell you how many ends I had to re-do before I had a system that worked for me. Sometimes the cable would work, sometimes it would only work sometimes, and other times it would not work at all. We had a fancy tester though (at work) and it caught my mistakes. I can't imagine how expensive it was though.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 2 most common mistakes people make when terminating cables are putting the wires in the wrong order which can occur as they push the plug on and not pushing the plug on far enough resulting in a poor connection.

Punch downs are harder to screw up, consider punching down each end of the cable and then using pre-made patch cables.

I agree it looks like one of the pictures may be wrong. When I was a kid, my dad got a partial spool of cat5 with NO color markings on the white wires free. That teaches you to terminate cable properly real quick. We cant see the side to see if the wires are in far enough. To take better pictures, put your camera in macro mode and add an external light source. If you make the same mistake on both ends of a cable, you'll pass a basic continuity test but it won't work for shit.

Best case scenario, you keep making the same mistakes over and over as you re-terminate the cable. Worst case, you bent the cable too much or pulled on it too hard and actually damaged the cable during installation.

Most computers these days can perform some fancier tests on cables to identify faults. Often you just have to find the software from the NIC mfg (eg Intel, RealTek, etc) because it may not be installed by default.

Attached is a screenshot of the RealTek utility showing cable status. It shows the status of each twisted pair. In this image one end of the cable is disconnected. If the cable is connected on both ends and working it should show normal and the same length for each pair. Differing lengths or short generally mean cable damage. These software tools are doing tdr on your cable.

Attachments

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you to all for your comments and suggestions.

I just smashed my HDE tester into the ground...it's in several pieces. If any member has the HDE tester or same model sold under different names, I would highly recommend throw the tester in the garbage.

There is nothing for me to say...just view the video clips of the test results and you will notice why I smashed my HDE tester.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now that would explain a lot. Again I strongly suggest getting some Platinum EZ-RJ45 connectors, with the pass through holes you can double and triple check before you crimp. Also maybe punch down jacks instead with patch cords.

At at least you know what you have to do. Good luck.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your using it wrong, green light does not mean its good just mean its sending power down the line and circuit was completed.. you have to compare the other end, without the power source to see if its really miswired... it was firing power down the pins 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8, and had you looked at the other end you'd of seen they were powering up in 1/2/5/4/3/6/7/8 or something like that and it would have indicated a miswire..

just looking at the power side of those dumb testers like HDE as you video'd tells you nothing than the circuit is completed and not open.