To build, or to buy and transfer guts

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I have messed with BI a little. I have a 2 camera setup running at my dads shop with more planned in the future, (2) 8TB mirrored drives using "storage spaces" yada yada. At my house I am sick of mailbox vandels and plan to set up 3 cameras at the road. I want to build a BI server. I understand it is more cost effective to buy something already built. I would build something with at least a 7700 but maybe an i7.

So basically heres my question. I want my BI server to be on my server rack in my basement I do not want a tower. It will probably go in a 4u case. Would you build from scratch or is there a PC out there thats a steal as far as components go and I just toss the case? I have built many PCs, so it doesnt scare me. Advantage to building is that I like haveing nice mobos and good ATX power supplies no proprietary crap.

Listening for opinions. Thanks.

Edit: 3 cams to start. Will have many more in the future. Realistically I can see me wanting around 10-14 cameras

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any great rack server deals. Many of them won't have CPUs with quick sync (which means no hardware acceleration for Blue Iris) and the cheap ones will mostly be old power hogs. I'm sure you could find a suitable desktop workstation on ebay to transplant, but no telling what physical compatibility issues you might run into.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yea im sure it will need to be transplanted. I just didnt know if you guys have a favorite tower that uses ATX format stuff and is a bargain. Ill probably just build. I have read enough here to know not to try using old xeon stuff. Thanks though!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea im sure it will need to be transplanted. I just didnt know if you guys have a favorite tower that uses ATX format stuff and is a bargain. Ill probably just build. I have read enough here to know not to try using old xeon stuff. Thanks though!

problem is that some of the oem motherboards are non standard....