To dome or mini dome?

ropedrag

n3wb
Reaction score
I just mounted a somewhat malfunctioning Hickvision mini dome (2CD-2542-FWS 2.8) in this new backyard location. The angle due to the mounting height is just a bit less than horizontal and is also at the adjustment range limit for this camera/housing.

The prior mounting location of this camera was on the front porch and it worked great except the IR lens would stick so I just replaced it with like. Now that I've moved it to the back yard it wont go into "night" vision at all so I'm going to replace it... and this is where I could use some advice please.

I'll either go with the same mini dome 2CD 2542 FWD-IS 4mm (from 2.8 to 4mm) or a regular dome 2CD 2142 FWD-IS 4mm.

Again the trick with this location is that the mounting height is not that high and the lens angle will just be a little below horizontal.

I'm leaning towards the 2142 dome as it has a further night vision reach. And I suppose the ideal camera for this location given the flat trajectory would be a Bullet style but for a number of reasons I'm not keen on one here. So I guess the boiled down question is, are there any drawbacks to only having a slight downwards aim using a Hikvision 2142 dome?

Thanks, I appreciate your advise.

Here is the image with the 2.8 that I'll be swapping to 4mm, also please note I will be panning left for the final aim.

ropedrag

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, I hadn't considered a turret..... Are they legit for a, it rains all the time here in Seattle, environment?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, I hadn't considered a turret..... Are they legit for a, it rains all the time here in Seattle, environment?
they are MUCH better than domes for rain...MUCH...what do you use for recording?

ropedrag

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using Sighthound, since we are an Apple household we are limited with whats available but Sighthound seems to be ok for our needs. We record and backup to a pair of Synology NAS's

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm using Sighthound, since we are an Apple household we are limited with whats available but Sighthound seems to be ok for our needs. We record and backup to a pair of Synology NAS's
Great. Look at the dahua starlight turret camera...there is an entire thread on it..it will blow away that mini dome.

ropedrag

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I did ask...... I'm neck deep in it now.

Sending an email off to EMPIRETECANDY for pricing

Thanks again fenderman!