To many 2.4GHz wireless cameras or to much traffic for router?

cmitche

n3wb
Reaction score
If i use more than one SSID on the same router it would still over load the router right? So i would need to use two AP''s and split the traffic between the two?

Sorry i'm not the best at networking and understanding it. :(

BTW in the BI stats page at the very bottom it says Totals 5701.68 kB/s and 640.0 MP/s what does that mean in Mbps?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One SSID and one channel per router / access point. For 5 cameras you will need one router for your home network. you will need two access points one for 3 cameras and one for 2 cameras.

MP/s is the mega pixels per second (MP/s). A pixel can vary in size depend on the color/Black and white. For modern cameras a pixel is 24 bits.

cmitche

n3wb
Reaction score
BTW what is the static in BI that says for totals 640MP
One SSID and one channel per router / access point. For 5 cameras you will need one router for your home network. you will need two access points one for 3 cameras and one for 2 cameras.

MP/s is the mega pixels per second (MP/s). A pixel can vary in size depend on the color/Black and white. For modern cameras a pixel is 24 bits.
That is the way i had it when i used UniFi but they would all connect to the same AP since it was the nearest one.

cmitche

n3wb
Reaction score
The 640.0 MP/s is 640 Mega Pixels per second.

The 5701.68 kB/s is 5701.68 kilo Bytes per second. One Byte is 8 bits. So 5701.68 kB/s would equal 45.61 Mbps
Is that a lot of data? I'm sure eventually you could max out your 1GIG switch.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, If you can not run Wire in Attic. how about along the Floor ? Say under the Carpet at the wall edge??

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you looked into MoCA? I assume you have coax run to every location a camera is installed to?

Its just so tricky if you can't physically run network wire. Even if we could help you with wireless, you still need hardwire runs to each AP.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I said before the absolute fastest is

Most IP cameras use 802.11G wifi.
For a 802.11G 2.4 GHZ wifi network the Theoretical Speed is 54Mbps (6.7MBs) real world speed is nearer to 10-29Mbps (1.25-3.6 MBs) for a single channel. Again the more devices colliding, the slower the rate.

The more active devices (wifi cameras) you have the slower it will go.

Is your device a switch or a router. Two very different device with two very different behaviors.

Reaction score
Is that a lot of data? I'm sure eventually you could max out your 1GIG switch.
That is a lot of data for a WIFI radio.

I do not think anyone with a set of home cams will ever overwhelm their 1GB switch. That is not the issue. Your question about too much data over WIFI is not the switch, it is overwhelming the WIFI radio.

I have 21 cams recording 24/7 and my numbers are about 15900kB/s and 460 MP/s. Most of the cams are using sub-streams in BI, but not all of them. I have three WIFI cams that are cheap indoor baby monitor type cams that I use for watching the dog when I am not home. They go offline several times a day. None of these are being used as important cams for my home. They are actually my first attempt at cams for my home over three years ago and the issues with them are what brought me to IPCAMTALK.

cmitche

n3wb
Reaction score
I went to best buy and bought two netgear ac1000 routers along with a cheap switch. I then ran a cat6 cable from one end of the house to the other far end then I plugged new cat6 cable into switch i just bought then plugged both AC1000 into it that are set to AP mode.

So i set up a wireless network on both AP's called test 1 and test 2 so i could make only 2 cameras connect to one AP and 3 to the other. It seems silly using two AP's sitting side by side.

Hope i got this right.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What channels did you select for the new APs? What channel is your home AP operating on?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes if you have to use 2.4Ghz. Those are the only three channels you don't have overlap with.

Do your cameras have the ability to connect to 5ghz?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is extremely unusual for cameras to have 5ghz wifi.

Use channels 1,6,11. Does not matter which one is the router and access points

cmitche

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes if you have to use 2.4Ghz. Those are the only three channels you don't have overlap with.

Do your cameras have the ability to connect to 5ghz?
No they are 2.4 Ghz only. I should have tryed the power line adapters not sure how good they would have been.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
How are they doing on the WiFi now?

Ellisz

n3wb
Reaction score
So this has been super helpful as I have been adding lots of cameras of the years and seem to have network issues :( My internet is not the greatest so I assumed it was that.

I have always used a router and 2 routers in AP mode to cover my house and an external building and they are connected via Cat6. I have a few old G routers that I could add to split the wireless traffic but would you sit them up on a separate guest network to restrict access or would this be done through other means?

Thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Ellisz
You really can not use more than 3 routers (AP). You can only use channel 1,6,11. Overlapping channels in close proximity make thing worse. The main thing is to use a different SSID and channel(1,6,11) of each router(AP).

Three routers(ap) on the same the same SSID , will not help at all with collisions and high traffic load.

A guest network use the same channel as the main network, all a guest network is , a different login and different security. You will still have collisions.